- Researchers cut optical backscatter to boost data transmission
Process exploits interaction of light and sound waves to suppress the scattering by material defects.
- SPIE O+P 2019: optics meets geology with multiphoton gemstone probe
Non-invasive technique uses second- and third-harmonic generation to map crystal structures.
- SPIE O+P 2019: giant optics to expand search for life
Huge mirror components fabricated at Tucson mirror laboratory are destined for the Giant Magellan Telescope.
- UV LEDs key to more hygienic beer brewing: Fraunhofer R&D project
Mercury-free technology also suitable for disinfecting brew water, and tops for bottled beer and other drinks.
- II-VI acquisition of Finisar delayed
Reorganized II-VI readies for 'plug and play' merger once Chinese authorities approve re-filed deal.
- NvisionVLE platform receives further FDA approval
NinePoint Medical instrument cleared for use in the pancreas and bile duct.
- SPIE O+P 2019: society launches $2.5M endowment matching program
Inaugural grant of $500,000 creates chair in optical sciences at the University of Arizona.
- Samsung launches first 108MP image sensor for smart phones
Electronics giant says it is taking mobile photography “to the next level”.
- IPG Photonics and Brose developing auto part laser-welding
First direct weld method for car seat components; increases manufacturing efficiency.
- SPIE O+P 2019: decadal studies turn heads to exoplanets
Huge interest from youthful crowd prompts move to a larger conference room at San Diego meeting.
- EPFL plans database of light's interaction with "all natural and synthetic materials"
Project can digitize materials' reflectance properties more rapidly than previously possible.
- ams presents rival Osram bid
Austrian firm says €4.2 BN proposal, with 'fully committed' funding, would create global leader in sensing and photonics.
- SPIE O+P 2019: gravity wave mission excites photonics meeting
Plenary talk from ESA's Martin Gehler outlines plan to launch giant laser interferometer in space.
- Lumentum bucks trend with confident outlook
Stock price rises sharply despite swing to net loss in the photonics company's latest fiscal year.
- Jenoptik business steady in first half of 2019
Six-month update shows revenue of €383 M mirroring prior-year figure; order intake dips but firm still expects growth in 2019.
- Satellite launch doubles data transmission capacity with new laser terminal
Geostationary satellite forms part of optical network enabling near-live observation of activity on Earth.
- Raytheon developing laser weapon systems for US Air Force
System designed to defeat drones and other threats with combination of laser and microwave technologies.
- Trumpf orders dip amid 'toxic' uncertainty
Laser giant posts first decline in annual orders since the global financial crisis a decade ago.
- Aberration compensation assists accurate retinal imaging
University of Washington project should benefit studies of color perception and vision testing.
- ESO's first 18 ELT mirror blanks arrive in France for finishing
Blanks produced by Schott will be polished by Safran-Reosc, cut into hexagons then final-polished by ion beam figuring.