- Technica establishes new FBG manufacturing facility in Singapore
US-based FBG devices developer significantly grows its optical sensors product capabilities in SE Asia.
- JunoCam images delight and amaze astronomers
Extraordinary new views of Jupiter's poles provided by sensors on board NASA craft.
- Laser method analyzes radiation damage to materials
MIT's “more dynamic” photonics-based technique reveals damage radiation causes to engineering structures.
- AMOLED TV panel shipments to exceed 10M units by 2023
But analyst IHS Markit warns that "premium" TV market is where the action is, rather than much larger "high-end" TV market.
- Flir Systems appoints James Cannon new president and CEO
Former director of Stanley Black & Decker and decorated veteran takes over in June, to replace outgoing leader Andy Teich, retiring after 33 years.
- NASA ditches Earth observation missions amid 'troubling' US science budget
Trump proposals slammed but space agency and others remain committed to some key optics-related developments, including LIGO and telescopes.
- Screen stars win at Display Week and LightFair
Leti shows WVGA 10µm GaN microdisplays, Nanosys Q-dot wins Component of The Year; Soraa Laser picks up innovation prizes.
- Photoacoustic imaging shows accurate tumor margins
Using ultraviolet wavelengths reveals cell architecture more rapidly than standard histology.
- LASER 2017 exhibitors give a taste of what's on show in Munich
Early announcements from suppliers including French cluster Alpha RLH, SPI Lasers and Toptica Photonics.
- Cree CEO Swoboda to step down
Long-time chief at the LED pioneer and solid-state lighting company is resigning after a recent health scare.
- Innoviz eyes lidar production ramp with Jabil
Venture-backed Israeli developer of lidar set to target auto sector with low-cost offering to after-market.
- IPG snaps up OptiGrate for ultrafast laser push
Specialist maker of volume Bragg gratings (VBGs) span out of University of Central Florida in 1999.
- Schott casts giant mirror blank for Extremely Large Telescope
European Southern Observatory says 4.2 m-diameter secondary mirror will weigh 3.5 tonnes.
- VSY claims advantage after latest Zeiss ruling
Dutch firm contends that the German optics giant misled the public with earlier statements about a patent lawsuit ruling on intraocular lenses.
- TriLumina tops up funding with $9M round
Semiconductor laser maker is targeting the high-profile market for lidar sensors in self-driving vehicles.
- Thales Alenia Space launches multiple 3D-printed parts for space apps
Most commonly used technique is laser beam melting on bed of metal powders including aluminum and titanium.
- Imec, Holst Centre devise low-cost method of precise REM detection
Electrode-based technology paves the way to economical augmented- and virtual reality applications.
- Lumileds’ Craford recognized for contribution to LED lighting
George Craford, Lumileds’ Solid State Lighting Fellow, awarded IEEE’s Edison Medal for disruptive developments that revolutionized lighting.
- Tesla's solar roof tiles 'could become dominant'
Optics and photonics academics see bright future for the electric car and battery firm’s new photovoltaics offering.
- Trumpf teases ultrashort 'game-changer' in Munich
Laser company says it will reveal way to combine ultrashort pulses with fiber delivery at LASER: World of Photonics event.