- Quantum gas in laser cage research wins €0.75m prize
Körber European Science Prize 2013 presented to Immanuel Bloch of Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics.
- “CryoLaser” cryogenic diode lasers deliver kilowatts
Stack with high-power diode lasers optimized for emerging ultra-high power laser applications.
- €2.3m 'Ablade' project to focus lasers on bladder cancer
Experiments show that cancerous cells and healthy cells respond differently to infrared wavelengths.
- FLIR lands $43M US Navy contract
System integrates infrared imager with laser rangefinder.
- Corning leads $62M investment in 'smart' glass maker View
Series E round will support further development of architectural glass that responds to its environment.
- Laser pulses investigate cirrus clouds
KIT (Karlsruhe) look at cloud formation, rainfall and thunderstorms with "first" mobile terawawatt laser.
- Europe’s new X-ray laser reaches important milestone
European XFEL underground construction completed in Schenefeld, near Hamburg, Germany.
- Andor cuts forecast on weak OEM sales
Share price of UK-based maker of high-performance scientific cameras slumps 20%.
- Euro commissioner visits Extreme Light Infrastructure project
Johannes Hahn saw the Romanian building site set to become home to the world’s most powerful laser.
- Saudi oil giant backs pilot 1MW concentrating PV plant
Pilot project with Soitec could result in future utility-scale installations, says the French firm.
- Jenoptik lands Rheinmetall defense deal
German photonics group to supply optronic target acquisition systems and laser rangefinders.
- 'LaserSnake' nuclear project enters phase two
New three-year, £7.7 M effort will develop laser-equipped robots to help decommission nuclear facilities.
- Luminus Devices sold to China's Sanan
'Big-chip' LED maker spun out of MIT in 2002 becomes part of Chinese optoelectronics giant.
- SiOnyx camera ‘aced’ US army tests
Sensor operates in very dark conditions; supports sharing of night-vision video.
- LED lighting in buildings to reach $25bn by 2017
Report reviews the future of emerging technologies that are "driving change in the LED value chain".
- Market for fiber optics sensors to hit $4bn by 2017
Continuous distributed and point fiber optics sensors increasingly deployed to replace conventional gauges.
- 'Promising' results with laser brain surgery for epilepsy
US Mayo Clinic clinic reports progress with minimally invasive, laser based approach.
- Spain receives ever more solar radiation
"Fewer clouds" explanation for increasing solar exposure.
- First Solar looking to raise $450M in public offering of stock (updated)
Share price has quadrupled in value over past year.
- Fashion alert: laser protective clothing set to hit stores
“Lab coats for lasers” have been developed under a European project entitled PROSYS.