- UK selects quantum development hubs
Work to commercialize quantum mechanics will include building the UK's first quantum-encrypted network and a small quantum computer.
- Southampton professor elected to Photonics 21 board
Board of Stakeholders responsible for developing future funding calls in photonics.
- Renishaw wins Queen’s Award for spectroscopy achievement
UK company wins recognition for rapid Raman imaging microscope.
- Philips coating dims LEDs to a 'cozy, warm glow'
Human preference for red low-light may have developed long ago, when we experienced "daily rhythm of sunlight".
- FLIR claims win in long-running Raytheon dispute
Jury verdict in Texas court clears infrared imaging company of infringing trade secrets.
- Lidar reveals Roman goldmines in Spain
Airborne laser and GPS system reveal details of extensive workings including river redirection.
- M/A-COM targets expansion with $230M BinOptics deal
Laser diodes made by Ithaca company much in-demand for data centers and from growing silicon photonics sector.
- TSMC orders production EUV systems
First production order should see systems delivered next year and enter volume manufacturing in 2016-2017.
- Orders back on the up at Inrad Optics
Lower operating costs and an SBIR Phase III contract lift prospects at the New Jersey company.
- Concept Laser opens US subsidiary in Dallas
Expansion into North America on the back of growing demand for laser additive manufacturing systems.
- Laser pinpoints methane leaks at biogas plants
Portable system spots leaks from up to 15m; set for commercialisation within 3-5 years.
- Video system enhances control of driverless vehicle
Enables vehicle to locate itself on a road, demonstrated last week at Michelin Challenge, Chengdu, China.
- ORC develops method to make photonic chips
Ultrafast photomodulation spectroscopy uses UV femtosecond pulses to change refractive index of silicon.
- Soitec hints at another record-breaking cell
French firm says that it will shortly release results on a four-junction concentrator PV device.
- Organic PV firm Eight19 lands £1M
Investment should help the Cambridge University spin-out develop its production technology.
- 3D Systems previews two-laser metal printer
‘ProX 400’ additive manufacturing system set to be showed off at next week’s EuroMold trade show in Frankfurt.
- Swiss team opens pilot site for advanced solar cells
600 kilowatt production facility for heterojunction silicon cells built in Neuchâtel.
- German transport planes to get fiber laser protection
Multi-spectral 'J-MUSIC' system from Elbit Systems will be used by new A400M military transport plane.
- ESI heads to China with $18M acquisition
Laser microfabrication systems specialist set to buy Wuhan-based Topwin Optoelectronics.
- Rofin up strongly on better margins and bright outlook
Industrial laser firm says further reduction in the cost of its fiber lasers will see it post much higher profits in 2015.