Optics.org News and Analysis
- MicroLED startups challenging heavyweights, says Yole report
Analysis includes details on commercialization of first microLED displays, which are “around the corner”.
- Lynred detector to help monitor individual field temperatures from space
French sensor specialist to develop SWIR linear array for Airbus-led Copernicus contract.
- Covid-19 update: 08 April 2021
A round up of this week's coronavirus-related news and countermeasures from the photonics industry.
- Quix sells first quantum processor to Qontrol
Spinoff from University of Twente, Netherlands, developing quantum processors, sells to UK research company.
- Nonlinear route to super-resolution points to new applications
Shanghai project creates sub-wavelength imaging in new near-field manner.
- Quantum technologies for computing, comms and imaging at Hannover Messe
At next week's virtual expo, Fraunhofer IOF to showcase quantum imaging system, entangled photon source; and “Qu-NET” optical modules.
- First patient receives retinal implant in pivotal trial
Pixium Vision says that study on an anticipated 38 patients represents final clinical step before seeking market approval.
- Zeiss opens new Bay Area innovation center
Located in California entrepreneurial region; new site houses research labs and demo facilities.
- Innoviz joins SPAC lidar gang with latest Nasdaq listing
Israeli technology developer raises $371M as it becomes the latest lidar firm to go public via a private equity merger deal.
- STED microscopy reveals sub-cellular details in living mice
Yale project achieves super-resolution 3D imaging in native tissue environment.
- Nuburu awarded US patent for copper welding with blue laser
Expands firm's IP portfolio, covers all potential apps of copper welding in automotive and e-mobility.
- Trioptics and TechnoTeam to co-develop AR/VR display metrology
Partners aiming to develop a measuring system integrating photometric and imaging processes in single device.
- Frequency comb sniffs out cow emissions
Field-deployed spectroscopy system able to monitor methane and ammonia to low concentrations with high precision.
- WeLASER project refines laser-based weed control
European group developing “chemical-free, technical alternative in crop management” using lasers, AI and Internet of Things.
- Tokyo researchers devise new way to observe laser-material interactions
Achievement could have wide-ranging implications in laboratory, commercial and industrial situations.
- Confident Basler sees earnings rise
Machine vision firm optimistic on continued growth in semiconductor and logistics markets, and robust demand from China.
- Zeiss launches crystallographic CT system
Enables 3D crystallographic imaging such as for AM, ceramics, and pharmaceutical samples.
- Monitoring blood constituents points to more effective health monitoring
LMU Munich and MPQ find spectral fingerprints stable enough to serve as individual biomarkers.
- Lucence to commercialize laser microfluidics for cancer biopsy
Palo Alto startup is working with Waseda University group on a new way to identify circulating tumor cells at an early stage.
- Polarization reveals more details of M87 black hole
EHT collaboration makes black hole breakthrough, while European astronomy networks merge.