Optics.org News and Analysis
- Picosun’s ALD tech leads to 'brighter, stronger' micro-LEDs
Atomic layer deposition thin film coating with passivation boosts output and energy efficiency of micro-LEDs.
- Project IDAM aims to add 3D printing to car making
BMBF research project targets integrating metal AM into automotive series processes across Germany.
- LightIntegra raises $5.3M for US introduction of optical blood platelet test
Canadian company’s ‘ThromboLUX’ device uses light scattering to determine size and distribution of platelets.
- Optos, Bühler, Lumishore among latest Queen’s Award winners
Purveyors of hyperspectral cameras, retinal imaging systems, and high-performance lighting recognized in annual awards for enterprise.
- Tesla touts lidar-free autonomy
Elon Musk dismisses lidar technology as 'lame' at electric car maker’s autonomy event specially arranged for investors.
- Laser powers needle-free microjet injection
University of Twente develops method to inject “smart tattoos” for potential health monitoring options.
- Zero-gravity optical fiber drawing experiment arrives in orbit
Kit developed by Physical Optics Corporation expected to produce high-performance fiber on board International Space Station.
- DCS 2019: Kent Periscopes present scope for AFVs
Presents driver of armored fighting vehicle with twin images of surroundings in shortwave or visible light formats.
- SRI International joins US Army night vision development program
California laboratory joins Microsoft and SiOnyx as partners on 'IVAS' effort to improve soldiers' situational awareness.
- Scottish Optoelectronics Association rebrands as Photonics Scotland…
…and publishes strategic paper Photonics in Scotland: A Vision for 2030, with aim of trebling its "billion pound" value.
- Survey reveals harassment at photonics events
A quarter of women who responded to study jointly commissioned by SPIE and OSA reported harassment at meetings.
- DCS 2019: Thermal cameras boost autonomous car sensing
Camera giant FLIR uses Baltimore expo to showcase latest generation of thermal kit designed for auto-safety systems.
- ASML's EUV systems pattern new Samsung and TSMC chips
Progress with upgraded equipment and EUV tool optics will see lithography technology migrate into memory chip production.
- DCS 2019: Saving soldiers using clinical VR
There is a “mountain of research evidence” that VR can be as good as, or better than, traditional human-delivered therapy.
- DCS 2019: The art of Mosaic Warfare
Agile approach lets military “think small and very fast,” says DARPA director Tim Grayson at DCS plenary.
- DCS 2019: New army tool for battle: disruptive tech
Technological disruption within military research is vital, says ARL director Philip Perconti.
- DCS 2019: Spotlight on emerging quantum sector
Conference opener hears "quantum applications will enable things we just cannot do today.”
- Orbiting telescope spies first Earth-sized exoplanet
NASA’s 'TESS' probe locates hot new world orbiting a star 53 light years away.
- Coherent CEO Ambroseo retiring by 2021
Long-serving executive has worked at the laser company since 1988; global search for successor under way.
- SmartVIZ project explores innovative visualization using micro LEDs
Osram, ASM AMICRA and Fraunhofer IISB working on brighter, more efficient lighting solutions than LCDs or OLEDs.