- EC names new heads for photonics and industry
Jean-Claude Juncker reveals Commission's top team for November kick-off; fresh legs for photonics and SMEs.
- Luceda Photonics wins €340,000 growth finance
Investment will drive development of its advanced software for photonic IC design.
- Private equity group buys Emcore PV unit
Emcore CEO Hong Hou to step down as company is left with loss-making fiber-optics division.
- Quantum dots adapted to glow more brightly
A thin layer of aluminum oxide layer makes quantum dots glow more brightly, promising diverse applications.
- CEA Leti collaborates on 'LiFi' transceivers
French government lab working with start-up on visible light communications technology.
- Advanced Photonix lands Navy contract
$1.6M deal to develop custom photodiode for US Navy’s guided missile system.
- Hyperspectral start-up books Boeing satellites
First commercial order for '502 Phoenix' small satellites will produce high-res spectral data.
- Lockheed tests turret for airborne laser weapon
'Airworthiness' of aero-optic control unit demonstrated in eight test flights over Michigan.
- poLight eyes public listing under new CEO
Norwegian developer of tunable optical lenses for camera phones is also establishing manufacturing capability.
- Photodynamic system approved for retinal diseases
Quantel to begin commercialization of 'Vitra' platform for two sight-damaging conditions.
- Emitter based on insect eye shines new light
Bio-insipred design could lead to novel emitters and sensors.
- JDSU to be split into two public companies
Stand-alone companies to focus on optical components and next-gen networks, respectively.
- Global photonics market valued at more than $150bn
SPIE's analysis of sales and businesses is “a valuable resource for investors, policy makers”.
- LZH develops hybrid welding of high-strength steels
Inductive preheating enables reliable, single-layer welding of high-strength, fine-grain steels.
- Laser pulse turns glass into 'conducting metal'
Electrons freed to create short-lived metallic properties that could drive high speed switching.
- Additive manufacturing creates space-ready components
EOS laser manufacturing process creates titanium brackets for aerospace applications.
- Lasers and nuclear power #2: the LaserSnake
Strict safety regulations mean decommissioning is yet to adopt laser cutting – but now UK firms are building the case for its use.
- OCT systems sales ‘to double’ to €1bn by 2019
Ophthalmology market saturated, but OCT system demand growing from healthcare, life science markets, says analyst Tematys.
- Boeing laser demonstrator destroys targets through wind and fog
Latest tests demonstrate laser system’s potential in maritime-style environments.
- Finisar announces ‘record’ 7% revenue growth in Q1 2015
Q1 Sales of $327.6m are all-time company record – but income forecast to slip in the second quarter.