- Investment hopefuls give IIP forum their best shot
Start-ups aim for the top with elevator pitches to Invest In Photonics.
- Optoacoustics pioneers recognized in latest awards
Researchers Lihong Wang and Alexander Oraevsky win Britton Chance and Berthold Leibinger prizes respectively.
- pureLiFi creates first optical atto-cell network
LED bulb-based comms systems Li-Flame to revolutionize 5G and Internet of Things, says developer.
- Earnings up sharply as Trumpf looks global
Acquisitions in Turkey and India as EBIT jumps 61% and laser sales climb by 11% at the machine tool giant.
- Jenoptik wins €4 million medical laser deal
To produce diode-based ophthalmology sources over two years for existing German customer.
- Next-generation optical fiber available to purchase from ORC
To mark 25th anniversary, Southampton offering its experimental fibers with special properties to interested parties.
- Optical memory, autism test and scattering detector win Edmund awards
Component vendor hands out $85,000 worth of products to nine different projects.
- ASML: two EUV customers hit wafer milestone
Lithography system vendor confirms that two chip makers have now demonstrated 500 wafers per day throughput.
- Societies open up Nobel winners' research papers
SPIE, AIP and OSA make papers published by 2014 physics and chemistry laureates available on digital platforms.
- EPIC launches venture and finance workgroup
New workgroup dedicated to the promotion of venture and finance activities among the association's members.
- VDMA broadens photonics expertise
German Engineering Association appoints four new members to the steering committee of its Photonics Forum.
- Adaptive optics without the guide star
Weizmann Institute method avoids need for conventional reference point to compensate for scattering of light.
- Judge grants GTAT sapphire wind-down request
Bankruptcy court grants emergency motion as company says sapphire operation is burning through $1M each day.
- Retinal imaging study to focus on early intervention
UK firm Optos in potential £10M collaboration aiming for early detection of sight-threatening diseases.
- Bright future for super-resolution techniques
Nobel win confirms importance of methods to image beyond the diffraction limit.
- Silicon detectors adapted for telecommunications
Development could enhance status of silicon as go-to material for both electronics and photonics.
- QCL-based sensor network reveals bomb-making
Development at Fraunhofer IAF identifies terror threats from far away.
- Super-resolution microscopy inventors claim chemistry Nobel
Stefan Hell, Eric Betzig and William Moerner win 2014 prize for development of techniques that beat Abbe's optical diffraction limit.
- Game-changer: the market impact of the blue LED
Nobel-winning research has created a $17.7 billion market and 250,000 jobs, says analyst.
- Photonics finance shifting from VCs to corporations
Chairman of Invest in Photonics Giorgio Anania identifies promising investment opportunities as conference opens in France.