- Cascade detector offers mid-IR sensing
Chessboard design operating at room temperature provides 4.3 µm detection and could easily be scaled for imaging applications.
- IPG steady as sales hit new high
Fiber laser giant holds onto market share at expense of lower selling prices.
- Ford hooks up with MIT on lidar for pedestrian mapping
Project uses laser ranging technology to monitor pedestrian movements around urban areas.
- Laser order boom continues at Coherent
Stock prices nudges all-time high as Coherent lands more big orders for OLED display production.
- Optical probe measures temperatures deep inside the brain
CNBP project offers new view of links between neuronal condition and drug use.
- Syneron picosecond source tackles blue and green tattoo inks
New 785 nm wavelength receives FDA clearance for treatment of hard-to-remove pigments.
- ams expands again with MAZeT acquisition
Austrian optical sensing firm says latest strategic deal will help it grow automotive, industrial and medical applications.
- Philips Lighting buoyant as LED sales tick up
Stock holds recent gains following initial public offering earlier this summer.
- Singapore team launches silicon photonics follow-up
Second phase of packaging program follows successful development of device library including grating couplers.
- Nanoco signs long-term deal on cadmium-free quantum dots
UK firm signs non-exclusive seven-year agreement with Taiwan’s Wah Hong Industrial.
- Ultrashort laser pulses support fiber-reinforced components
Allows more complex geometries and product integration with bonded copper layers without toxic chemicals.
- Laser welding of glass now ready for industry
Femtosecond laser system developed by Trumpf enables economical, high-quality glass welding,
- Facebook Connectivity Lab sensor enables optical wireless comms
With data rates of more than 2Gbits/s, new approach in photodetection could simplify free-space optics.
- Photonics showcased at SPIE defense and security meeting
Edinburgh conference will give updates on practice, research and commercial potential of photonics and sensing to the military and security services.
- ASML boosted by extreme UV orders
Four orders for production EUV lithography systems placed in latest quarter, as TSMC reveals its plans to deploy the technology.
- THz systems sales to grow at 16% through 2020
Analyst Tematys reveals market drivers and which technologies suit each application.
- Princeton Lightwave targets automotive lidar
New Jersey photonics firm sets up new business unit to commercialize Geiger-mode lidar technology.
- Lidar mapping start-up closes $6.6M seed fund
Ford Motor Company among the early investors in Civil Maps, whose software turns raw lidar data into live maps for autonomous vehicles.
- Magnetic fields offer new window onto nerves in action
Measurement of ultra-small magnetic fields from a frog nerve could lead to practical use in diagnostics.
- NASA team investigates nanotube mirror for CubeSat telescope
Tiny telescopes fitted with off-the-shelf spectrometers and imagers could be used as exploratory tools in advance of major astronomy missions.