- FLIR boosted by Point Grey camera sales
Quarterly revenues and earnings up but stock price slips back as new CEO Jim Cannon takes the helm.
- MKS reaps rewards as Newport division posts record sales
Integration well on track and stock price close to a record high as buoyant semiconductor equipment market boosts top and bottom lines.
- Nikon celebrates centenary with an eye on the future
Camera and lithography giant was created by the merger of two optics companies on July 25, 1917.
- M Squared uses Airy LSM to reveal neural interactions
Research on light sheet microscopy forms part of collaboration with University of St Andrews.
- Laser acne treatment gets more VC support for clinical trial
US company Sebacia raises $36M in debt and equity finance; trial results anticipated next year.
- Philips Lighting: LED-based sales now 63% of total
Recent developments include 'world’s largest LED horticultural project' to increase fruit and vegetable yields in Russia.
- First light in Chile: MASCARA eyes up likely planets
Exoplanet hunting camera switched on at ESO’s La Silla Observatory; southern hemisphere complement to La Palma's northern site.
- Trumpf 'satisfied' as EUV lithography momentum boosts laser sales
Total sales up 11% and orders surge 21% as ASML's need for high-power carbon dioxide lasers makes an impact.
- UK’s EPIC center rescheduled for 2019 launch
Application finally made to build Torbay-based photonics R&D facility after two-year delay blamed on Brexit.
- UK Parliamentary Group highlights photonics' benefits and needs
Reconstituted political forum develops strategy for new government's decision-making, spending priorities.
- Organic PV startup Eight19 wins £1.3m funding
Investment expected to progress profitability of OPV business, develop new thin-film technology to boost efficiency of Si photovoltaics.
- ASML hits new high as CEO hails EUV 'inflection point'
Lithography firm reveals orders for eight new EUV steppers, with 2017 sales expected to climb to a record high.
- PLAT4M project progresses three Si-photonics platforms
Research institute CEA-Leti says FP7 project PLAT4M has achieved “better than expected” results.
- £6M quantum funding round opens in UK
Latest scheme to aid quantum technology commercialization includes support for non-technical projects including roadmapping and knowledge exchange activity.
- Stemmer Imaging reports positive year – and end of an era
2016-17 saw MV firm’s turnover reach €88m with growth of 6% and, after 44 years, founder Wilhelm Stemmer to retire.
- Perovskite PV wins DOE commercialization funding
Teams at Stanford, Dallas Solar and Energy Materials Corporation all win substantial backing in $46M round.
- Raman reveals molecular details of degenerative diseases
CNRS project promises faster imaging of molecular dynamics and could assist early diagnosis.
- Car paint, artworks and explosives: terahertz finds niches
From tooth enamel characterization to paper production quality control and examining the thickness of car paint, terahertz technology is finding its feet in commercial applications.
- Optical clearing gives unhindered view of cardiac tissues
Imperial College technique allows faster imaging of myocardial sections.
- Rockley and M-Squared win backing for UK 'prosperity partnerships'
Companies will match research council funding over five years to develop silicon photonics and compact super-resolution microscopes.