Optics.org News and Analysis
- Teledyne hopeful of imaging rebound
Company sees strong bookings in the closing quarter of 2020, as both X-ray and optical imaging sectors recover.
- Simpler laser cooling offers route to chip-scale cold atom devices
NIST project employs metasurface beam shaping and planar optics.
- Amplitude Laser to supply 60 TW laser to German ATHENA sites
French developer to install 60TW Pulsars first at DESY, Hamburg, then at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.
- Bloodline project to develop diode lasers for 3D metal printing
Led by University of Glasgow spinout Vector Photonics; based around proprietary PCSEL sources.
- ‘Hair-thin’ optical fibers promise performance innovations
University of Bonn team makes fine fibres simply, predicts applications in quantum, sensors, and gas detection.
- Ellex acquisition pushes Lumibird sales
French photonics firm still feeling the impact of lower research lab spending, but lidar business grows and CILAS could be next acquisition.
- Lasers bring technology to artisan watch crystal engraving
EPFL project creates 3D structures within sapphire glass materials.
- Fraunhofer ILT and Cronimet Ferroleg develop laser scrap metal sorter
German Government-funded “PLUS” project yields sensor that boosts efficiency of metal recycling.
- Covid update: 21 January 2021
A round up of this week's coronavirus-related news and countermeasures from the photonics industry.
- 3D imaging with LEDs and smartphone points to simpler machine vision
University of Strathclyde project creates images without complex synchronizing of camera and lighting.
- Denso joins forces with Aeva for auto lidar commercialization
Major automotive component supplier sees frequency modulation approach as ‘missing link’ for future autonomous vehicles.
- ASML smashes sales record after shipping 100th EUV system
Lithography giant expects further growth this year, as chip makers invest in production capacity.
- Orbital Systems project aims to boost optical space comms
French partners Cailabs, Onera, and CNES to develop, evaluate atmospheric turbulence compensation module.
- UK partners developing optical magnetometers to test electric vehicle batteries
CPI and Kelvin Nanotech in £5.4M project for quantum sensors to detect magnetic field given off by healthy lithium cells.
- Lumentum and Coherent merger to create photonics industry giant
Two of the most recognized names in the photonics sector set to join forces in $5.7BN deal.
- Raman spectroscopy offers improved diagnosis of oral cancer
Hamburg project develops platform able to distinguish malignant from non-malignant tissue.
- Danish group launches €3 million quantum communication project
CryptQ consortium to develop fiber laser-based secure optical networking system over the next three years.
- ORC-Zepler: Si-photonics showcase reports ‘dramatic advances’
£6 million program, led by Graham Reed, has overcome significant R&D challenges for industry-compatible technology.
- Researchers refine laser method to 3-D print delicate glass parts
Fresnel Institute process avoids layering limitations by using laser to polymerize precursor into solid glass.
- Merger back on as Cisco and Acacia agree higher price
Networking giant will now pay $4.5BN for the silicon photonics company, up from the $2.6BN agreed in 2019.