- Alta sets flexible solar record with 29.1% GaAs cell
Single-junction device based on technology being tested by NASA for use in future missions demanding low-mass power.
- Physics Nobel winners receive medals in Stockholm ceremony
Laser scientists Mourou, Strickland and Ashkin (by proxy) presented Nobel Prizes by King of Sweden, also sharing $1 million.
- Osram to show technologies to improve quality of life at CES 2019
Firm to reach into strategic markets beyond illumination with “Photonics for a Smarter Life” innovations in Las Vegas.
- Lumentum completes Oclaro acquisition
Expanding US photonics giant closes deal shortly after being granted antitrust clearance in China.
- OSIRIS-REx probe discovers water on asteroid
Sensors on NASA's newly-arrived spacecraft identify hydoxyl groups embedded in clays on Bennu.
- Olympus Medical fined $85M after infections
Former senior executive of Japanese firm could also be jailed after failure to file adverse event reports related to endoscopes.
- Researchers use electron plasmas to create attosecond laser pulses
Attosecond pulse applications include probing dynamics of ultrafast physical phenomena at sub-atomic scales.
- KETS Quantum Security lands seed funding for chip-scale QKD
UK startup is developing ultra-compact quantum encryption technology based on integrated photonics.
- Modulight teams up with eye health giant on new laser
Collaboration with Bausch + Lomb focused on new source for photodynamic therapy application.
- OCT links blood vessels to melanoma type
Clinical study reveals how the shapes of blood vessels change with increasing depth of dangerous skin cancers.
- Diamond Edge Ventures invests in DigiLens
Mitsubishi Chemical’s VC subsidiary says AR will be next-gen platform after smart phones – anticipating “large market growth”.
- Color sensors based on microlens are cheaper to make
Germany’s FOWINA project forms sensors directly on a chip – with multiple functions including tunable LEDs.
- Prism Awards: startups and stalwarts make 2019 shortlist
Winning photonics products will be recognized at special event taking place during Photonics West.
- NZ-based photonic sperm selection company acquired by global investor
Engender Tech, founded by SPIE Startup Challenge winner Cather Simpson, acquired by CRV International to develop photonics-based livestock breeding tech.
- Photonics kit ready for asteroid encounter
Lidar, spectroscopy, and near-infrared imaging equipment on board OSIRIS-REx craft just arrived at Bennu asteroid.
- Research to cut cost of laser welding metal sheets for ships
LZH-led DIOMAR project to develop new laser welding processes for thick sheet metal in the maritime sector.
- Harris Corp lands $196M space telescope contract
Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) mission will search for dark energy and characterize exoplanet atmospheres.
- $20M gift endows ten new faculty chairs at University of Arizona
Donation from serial optics entrepreneur Jim Wyant will increase College of Optical Sciences' faculty by nearly one-third.
- PIC pilot line setting up in Eindhoven
New open access facility, backed with European regional development funding, is expected to help incubate new photonics SMEs.
- AquiSense partners with US EPA and Washington University
To further advance UV LED water disinfection system development for emergency situations.