- JDSU lasers division to become 'Lumentum'
US photonics and metrology company confirms identities of the two businesses it will split into later this year.
- UK Photonics KTN head positive about business
The reorganized innovation network is now focusing more on tapping the industry’s commercial potential.
- Quantum imaging center opens in Glasgow
Business-focused QuantIC hub funded by UK government for next five years.
- IR detectors replaced on James Webb telescope
Design flaws in original equipment see replacement of near-infrared detectors in three JWST instruments.
- First Solar begins silicon module ramp
As the firm pushes the efficiency of its long-standing CdTe technology, it is simultaneously starting to ramp TetraSun's silicon cells.
- Effect Photonics closes Series-A funding
Dutch DWDM photonic integration company to invest undisclosed sum in production facilities and staff.
- EUV bet settled as source powers climb
Technology advances revealed at SPIE Advanced Lithography conference; students to benefit from the resolution of a long-standing bet.
- OCT firm Michelson Diagnostics closes £2.5m ‘Series B’ funding
First tranche of expected £4m; Smith & Nephew invests £1.25m and joins board of UK company.
- ESI suspends dividend; plans laser ramp
CEO Ed Grady says 'prudent and responsible' decision was needed to invest in business transition.
- IPG up again after another record year
Revenue grows 19% in 2014 overall as demand for fiber lasers shows no sign of abating.
- Novel endoscope gives clearer view of cancers
University at Buffalo probe improves image quality and also facilitates drug delivery.
- Capasso lab advance suggests industry role for flat photonics
Flat lens from Harvard physicists turns 'normal' optics on its head with the help of metasurfaces.
- Boeing wins contract to improve laser weapon pointing
$29.5M deal with US Office of Naval Research expected to result in 'exceptional accuracy' of new laser weapons on warships.
- Saudi laser lab focuses on attosecond science
Gérard Mourou, Paul Corkum, and Ted Hänsch give lectures at opening ceremony in Riyadh.
- Multi-spectral probe promises new view of Fallopian tubes
Arizona development team seeks industrial partner to take multi-purpose imaging device for cancer screening to market.
- mirSense integrated QCLs target gas-sensing and biomed roles
French startup says attraction is its silicon platform, which features "no moving parts".
- Central Laser Facility turns on STED 'scope
Super-resolution microscope at UK site now said to be fully operational, while new ultrafast infrared laser is close to completion.
- Holmium laser boost for Lumenis
Israeli medical laser firm reports 9% increase in sales for the closing quarter of 2014.
- UV LEDs to find new markets in disinfection, purification
Entry of ‘visible LED giants’ to speed UV LED boom through 2018, but UV LED chip making remains a ‘bottleneck”.
- Optical surgery guide wins SPIE's Startup Challenge
Photonics West attendees enjoy fiercely-fought laser technology competition.