- Soitec crashes into CPV 'roadblock'
San Diego manufacturing facility to be scaled down after planned 150MW California project fails to materialize.
- IEDM papers hint at future of imaging
Stacked, three-dimensional sensors, CCD/CMOS combinations and far-infrared detectors discussed at San Francisco conference.
- Canadian tornado center deploys lidar WindScanner
Laser examination of weather simulator in full-scale real atmospheric wind and turbulence hall.
- Heliatek makes its first PV installation in China
Claims "world’s first" BIOPV concrete façade installation in Pudong; also planning new pilot line in Germany.
- Quantum photonics promises ultra-secure credit cards
Netherlands-based team develops hack-proof “quantum secure authentication” for security applications.
- Semiconductor strength helps Zeiss shrug off economic woes
Like-for-like sales up 5% in the giant optics firm’s latest financial year; confirms microscopy unit cuts.
- Tunable laser sniffs out Martian methane
Spectrometer on board Curiosity rover detects 'belches' of gas that may indicate presence of microbes.
- Graphene modulator 'outperforms' state-of-the-art rivals
Researchers in Belgium present details of 10 Gb/s device at International Electron Devices Meeting.
- Photoacoustics promises new tool for cervical cancer detection
Chinese researchers describe "faster, cheaper, non-invasive method" to diagnose and stage condition.
- Michael Mertin re-appointed President of Photonics21
Jenoptik President & CEO will once again represent the technology platform for the European photonics sector.
- Emcore retrenches with new CEO
Fiber-optic component maker also shifts corporate headquarters to California following sale of its space photovoltaics business.
- MODE-GAP project yields new EDFA for 'few mode' fiber
Researchers looking into future network technology space division multiplexing develop dedicated amplifier.
- Multiphoton Optics confirms seed investors
High-Tech Gruenderfonds and Fraunhofer Ventures back developer of 3D laser lithography equipment.
- Downing Street ceremony heralds the International Year of Light
Special Christmas decorations outside home of UK Prime Minister mark the countdown to IYOL.
- US Navy ship-mounted 30kW laser weapon tested in Persian Gulf
Plans are afoot to increase power to 150kW and to mount such weapons on military aircraft and land-based vehicles.
- NIR sensor refined to analyze swimmer performance
Waterproofing a near infrared transceiver system improves understanding of water-sport oxygenation processes.
- Raman kit detects 'one-pot meth'
US authorities employ spectroscopy equipment to scan bottles for chemicals being used to make the drug at home.
- Phone-charging plane windows launched at aerospace show
Instantly dimmable ‘smart glass’ prototype with embedded PV can shade windows and charge electronics on board aircraft.
- Asia-Pacific LED lamp sales to grow to $6.7bn by 2019
General Lighting LED lamp consumption in booming region to triple from this year's $2.7bn, predicts ElectroniCast.
- Cancer diagnostics to drive coherence tomography market growth
Current $1BN market for clinical optical imaging devices set to double by 2020, says analyst.