Optics.org News and Analysis
- SPIE hails UNESCO support for annual Day of Light
Global enthusiasm for proposal to establish “International Day” as legacy of IYL 2015.
- EuroBLECH 2016 showcases industrial laser systems
Sheet metalworking technology expo takes place in Hanover, next week.
- Trumpf’s laser sales swell to €935M
Rise of 5 per cent in latest financial year as German firm hails ‘game-changing’ laser cutter and diode developments.
- New optoacoustic platform reveals deep neural activity
Applying optoacoustics to calcium indicators could allow scalable whole-brain monitoring.
- Sicoya wins European Photonics startup challenge
Silicon photonics specialist recognized at Micro Photonics, the new Berlin expo.
- ASML firms up EUV lithography expectations
Latest quarterly sales figure boosted by €80M revenue for EUV tool shipment, as TSMC outlines its installation plan.
- ESO achieves 'highest resolution' image of Eta Carinae
VLT Interferometer captures raging winds in famous massive stellar system, using Doppler Effect.
- Oxford PV to build perovskite demo line with new cash
£8.7M equity investment for university spin-out, with additional series C funding expected by the end of the year.
- Hydrogel optical fibers could reveal first signs of disease
MIT and Harvard develop stretchy implantable fibers to deliver therapeutic pulses of light within tissues.
- French printing firm ready to roll organic PV films
Nantes-based Armor Group says that its light, flexible energy-generating films will be on sale shortly.
- Novel laser makes atomic clock '100 times sharper'
JILA team has now built the super-radiant design based on strontium atoms that it first proposed four years ago.
- Laser endomicroscope to be trialed in child heart surgery
Cellvizio platform from Mauna Kea Technologies under evaluation in NIH-backed study.
- Laser Light, Equinix plan first laser-based comms network
First PoP set for Washington, as step towards global network to resolve optical network bottlenecks.
- Novel diodes and UV-LEDs presented at Berlin expo
FB Institute among exhibitors showcasing latest developments at Micro Photonics 2016.
- Nanoco upbeat as new licensing model kicks in
Despite posting an annual operating loss of £12.5M, the UK maker of cadmium-free quantum dots senses a major opportunity unfolding.
- II-VI buys diode innovator Direct Photonics
Serial purchaser expands its portfolio with Berlin-based kilowatt diode laser innovator.
- Optics societies welcome changes to US export regulations
SPIE and OSA say amendment to ITAR rules will ease overhead burden on smaller companies, although another call for industry responses looms.
- Chronocam wins Inpho startup prize
Paris-based machine vision pioneer impresses the judges at the Bordeaux venture summit.
- Optical approach for screening toxins mimics mammal senses
University of Leicester says new technique can reduce the need for animal testing in biomedical research.
- 'High-res' headlamps offer full beam with no glare
LED maker Osram develops chips with 1024 individually controllable light points in research project involving car maker Daimler.