Optics.org News and Analysis
- IPG Photonics Q4, 2018 sales slide
Nine per cent fall to $330m in line with guidance; China sales tank, Europe down, but US demand boosted.
- Jenoptik growing with ‘record’ 2018 revenue of €834m
Order intake worth €874 m also at record high; firm says outlook is for “further growth in 2019”.
- EOS grows with acquisition of Vulcan Labs
AM addition to deliver custom solutions, support R&D and help commercialize EOS 3D platforms.
- Trumpf takes action to prepare for Brexit
UK MD Lee Moakes writes to customers, advising them of company preparations – including increasing local stock by £2m.
- Near-infrared light kills cancer, builds immune response
This NIR photo immune therapy is to be licensed to Rakuten Aspyrian Therapeutics, in San Mateo, California.
- Wavelength control in quantum dot lasers could assist sensing and communication
University of Utah project couples pairs of microdisk lasers for consistent single-wavelength output.
- Non-invasive prostate cancer treatment wins 2019 SPIE Startup Challenge
Photonics-based procedure is less invasive than surgery, only requires local anaesthesia, and takes less than one hour.
- Osram sales impacted by market weakness
Sales drop due to market conditions and political uncertainties hitting business development; Board taking measures to secure revenues.
- CEA-Leti lens-free optics set to improve AR
Combining integrated optics and holography allows AR glasses to be less bulky and offer wider field of view.
- Fraunhofer HHI selects Veeco’s sputter system
Institute for optical telecoms research orders ion beam sputtering system to create laser facet coatings and micro-optical devices.
- TERIPHIC sees path to terabit datacom applications
EU project intends to develop terabit optical transceivers through photonic integration.
- Lumentum looks beyond current slowdown in 3D sensing
Drop in orders affects results, but long-term market for products remains "tremendous opportunity."
- ON Semiconductor expects strong future in automotive sector
Market for driver-assistance sensors still accelerating despite macroeconomic concerns.
- II-VI sees revenues rise as Finisar acquisition proceeds
Shareholders now persuaded of the benefits of Finisar deal, says the company.
- Blue OLED on silicon sensor detects phosphorescence
Fraunhofer FEP developers to demo prototype, which is designed for oxygen ratio monitoring, at Embedded World 2019.
- MKS weathers semiconductor headwinds while laser revenues rise
Imminent acquisition of ESI expected to boost future micromachining sales
- China slowdown weighs on Coherent outlook
Tariffs, debt and waning consumer confidence reduces visibility in key materials processing market.
- 'lnPulse' pilot line to give Europe edge in PICs development
Sixteen partners coordinated by TU Eindhoven start work on four-year €14m EC-funded project.
- MIT laser system transmits audible messages to audience
Could be used for communications in noisy situations or even warn groups of a dangerous situation – such as an active shooter.
- Lumibird hits €100M milestone
Paris-listed laser maker now targeting €150M turnover by 2021, alongside increased profitability.