- Losses widen as Mauna Kea grows applications base
Strategic switch to pay-per-use scheme in the US said to be gaining traction, but overall sales remain down on last year.
- Fiber-optics pioneer Charles Kao 1933-2018
Shanghai-born scientist shared physics Nobel in 2009 for groundbreaking work on low-loss fibers needed for practical long-distance communications.
- NIST refines laser power meter for industrial apps
Chip-sized "smart mirror" technology could help manufacturers measure laser power from 1W to several 100W in real time.
- Medical laser firm eyes $50M IPO
Ra Medical Systems is commercializing laser treatment of blocked blood vessels related to diabetes and obesity.
- ‘Fishbone’ laser cuts reduce car engine fuel use
Reducing piston wear in cylinders is now more than “science friction”, say engineers at Fraunhofer IWS.
- Micron-sized lens could link quantum computers to optical networks
ANU (Australia) -developed system is based on nano-structures forming a metasurface, which controls photon behavior.
- Vuzix to develop augmented reality headgear for aerospace client
Initial $250k deal with 'top-tier' partner for waveguide-based head-mounted display; WaveOptics opens US headquarters.
- First Osram VCSEL to illuminate for facial recognition app
Surface-emitting Bidos PLPVQ 940A VCSEL initially used for 3D sensing and mobile device security applications.
- Exoplanet-hunting TESS returns first images
'First light' for satellite telescope launched earlier this year as multi-camera payload captures view of the Large Magellanic Cloud.
- Nanodiamonds in polymer speed up 3D printing
Development by Finland's VTT Research and Carbodeon improves delivery and resilience of 3D printing material – for industrial, personal manufacture.
- Bipartisan bill 'saves' Rochester laser lab
Laboratory for Laser Energetics previously threatened by budget cuts now set for record $80 million funding.
- NASA launches 'ICESat-2' laser altimeter
Mission to monitor changing ice levels on Earth suffered significant delay and budget overrun.
- £80m funding to boost UK quantum technology programs
Funding intended to help progress this photonics-led technology but quantum researchers seeking £250m more.
- Optical link developer Silicon Line raises €8.2m
Low-power optical link developer will invest new Series B funding in production, expansion and Asian presence.
- Infrared spectroscopy trialled for drunk-driving detector
Governor of Virginia launches new technology-based attempt to reduce levels of drunk-driving.
- Boeing on board as BridgeSat raises $10M
Company is developing a network of ground stations to connect satellites and high-flying UAVs with high-speed laser links.
- German MV industry sales grew 17% in 2017 to €2.6 bn
VDMA Machine Vision Group reports record numbers for sector and booming, bi-annual VISION show.
- Breault Research ups 2018 goals under new regime
Sold by eponymous founder Bob back in April, the optics software and services firm looks to broaden its horizons.
- Ghent-imec collaboration spins out fiber-optic sensing startup
Sentea raises €1.6M from initial backers and members of founding team for silicon photonics approach.
- Fraunhofer demonstrating OLEDs integrated into textiles
Illuminated wearables will be fashionable, functional and eye-catching; to debut next week at Dresden's ESTC 2018 show.