- Replicating nature’s ability to reflect light promises new photonics materials
Surrey team develops ceramics that mimic "butterfly wing" structures; with patents filed, and commercial partner identified.
- Dual lens approach offers new potential for smart phone cameras
Samsung Electro-Mechanics and Corephotonics partnership enables “dramatic enhancements" in image quality.
- Gooch & Housego snaps up infrared lens firm StingRay
Cash-and-stock deal worth up to $20M reinforces G&H’s diversification and vertical integration strategy.
- Osram broadens horizons into deep-UV LEDs
Licensing agreement with aluminum nitride substrate developer HexaTech sees the giant LED maker target emerging sub-sector.
- Rubicon seeking new CEO with M&A experience
Sapphire manufacturer has scaled back operations dramatically in recent months but is now looking to expand with acquisitions.
- Airbus signs cockpit laser protection deal with Metamaterial
Deal builds on earlier agreement to commercialize optical filter based on new thin-film photonics technology.
- NASA and MIT working on quantum-dot spectrometer
Nanotechnology has potential to shrink critical space instrumentation dramatically, by replacing traditional optical components.
- Double-depletion technique enhances STED performance
KIT develops STEDD to remove background and improve super-resolution 3D images.
- Cognex sales top $500M in record year
Machine vision firm piles up cash during highly profitable period as investment in factory automation grows.
- German partners developing 'ultra-short pulse laser of the future'
Trumpf, Schott and Bosch involved in project ScULPT to produce new source for with tenfold increase in productivity for materials processing.
- IDT to buy GigPeak to better deliver optical comms
$250m deal creates "new franchise" in optical interconnect; extends IDT’s lead in comms and cloud data center markets.
- TetraVue joins lidar stampede with $10M VC round
Series A funding led by Robert Bosch and Nautilus to bring high-density flash lidar to self-driving cars.
- LZH launches optogenetics innovation network
Project for Germany intends to unlock the potential of light-controlled biomolecules.
- Solar power surge sees US records tumble
In 2016, more photovoltaic capacity was added to the US grid than any other electricity source.
- QCL-based THz sources generate 'record' ultrashort pulses
TUW and ETHZ researchers add lateral absorber to laser resonator, creating emission bandwidth across a full octave.
- IPG confirms billion-dollar year with look to the future
CEO Gapontsev says that market saturation remains ‘far away’ as high-output fiber lasers drive growth.
- Finnish group developing large-area LED lighting films
Low cost, high-speed and quality lighting sources suit vehicle and architectural lighting applications.
- QD Solar wins series A financing to boost PV panel output
Saudi Arabian innovation fund involved in early round completed by Canadian developer of quantum-dot structures to harvest infrared energy.
- Singapore team develops flexible terahertz source
For fast and non-invasive screening applications in spectroscopy, surveillance, cancer diagnosis and more.
- Fraunhofer smartphone app looks inside objects
Prism-free HawkSpex system can verify constituents of fruit, consumer products and more for quality control.