- Lockheed, Rafael join forces on laser weapons
Jointly developed directed energy weapons to be incorporated into Israel’s ‘IRON BEAM’ project.
- G&H to review strategy under new CEO
London-listed photonics company highlights strong order book, but stock price drops as profit shrinks.
- Berkeley Lab commissions upgraded laser system
Enhanced capabilities at BELLA promise data on extreme plasmas, novel cancer treatments.
- Novel 3D printer makes high-res microcomponents by photo-crosslinking…
…While optical sensing safety technology can reduce warehouse transportation accidents.
- LongPath lands $22M for laser methane sensing expansion
Colorado startup has developed gas monitoring technology based on frequency combs.
- Laser light stimulates a good memory
Birmingham and Beijing project uses photobiomodulation to influence cognitive performance.
- Stanford says its chip-scale laser isolator ‘could transform photonics’
Fabricated by established manufacturing processes, ring-shaped device is made of silicon nitride.
- EPFL develops silicon PICs with new form of light amplification
“Traveling-wave amplifier” can boost optical signals in lidar, sub-sea fiber links, and data centers.
- Blue laser diode enables micro-optics to better control beam shape
Convergent Photonics-ams Osram combination yields precision laser modules for advanced surgery or welding.
- Heriot-Watt team improves robustness of quantum communications…
…and ICFO group transports two-photon quantum states over specially-adapted optical fiber.
- Ganvix signs epitaxy deal to develop green VCSELs
Agreement with equipment provider BluGlass aiming to produce surface-emitting devices based on gallium nitride.
- U Penn develops optical method to detect O use in brain
To obtain a detailed picture of cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen consumption.
- Flir announces partnership with RealWear, a developer of AR wearables
RealWear adds thermal camera to its Navigator range; and Ulefone debuts cellphone with Flip Lepton camera.
- Femtosecond spectroscopy points to laser-tuned photosynthesis
Lund University images photosynthesis dynamics to show how gas emissions might be controlled.
- Fraunhofer speeds up virus analysis using laser-induced transport
B-Cell-Immune project could allow faster response to new viruses and pandemics.
- Seno Medical launches optoacoustic imaging system for breast cancer
Combined with ultrasound, the 'Imagio' system helps distinguish between benign and malignant tumors.
- Nagoya presents CW lasing of deep-UV laser diode at room temperature
Development led by 2014 Nobel laureate Hiroshi Amano at Institute of Materials & Systems for Sustainability.
- Steerable soft 'fiber' robots could enhance medical applications
Using optical fiber making ideas enables development of soft robots with advanced motion control.
- Latest set of roll-out solar panels arrive at International Space Station
Arrays built by Redwire due to be deployed during spacewalks before the end of the year.
- OpenLight launches PDK for ‘unified electronic and photonic platform’
Process Design Kit is said to enable rapid PIC designs with on-chip laser technology.