- Commercial markets for infrared imaging systems expanding
Smartphone applications, low-cost cores widen encourage consumer applications, says Yole Développement.
- Bausch + Lomb sales growth revealed in Big Pharma battle
Eye care firm's parent Valeant Pharmaceuticals involved in war of words with acquisition target Allergan.
- Optical analysis and control of superconductors
Laser light modulates properties of copper-based superconductor, in Italian-led R&D project.
- Vishay Intertechnology to pay $205m for Capella
Vishay’s visible and IR components to complement Capella’s photonics range.
- Russian IT firm Aquarius to invest $7m in Zecotek Display Systems
20% equity position will enable co-development of 3D manufacturing and monitoring technologies.
- Duke of York to front UK's International Year of Light effort
United Nations-sanctioned effort to raise awareness of light and light technologies gets royal patronage.
- European machine vision sales show strong growth
International demand on the rise, especially in Asia, says VDMA survey, but domestic markets still drag.
- ASML customers reschedule EUV tool shipments
Three upgraded extreme UV lithography systems now slated to ship in 2015 instead of this year.
- Alcon licenses Google 'smart lens' tech
Eye care subsidiary of pharma giant Novartis wants to measure glucose levels in tear fluid.
- Laserworld Group merges with HB-Laser
Swiss and German laser lightshow specialists join forces.
- Daylight to work on UV laser for helicopter protection
US firm awarded small business innovation research project by US Army.
- Shrinking SemiLEDs posts another loss
LED manufacturer is about to shut down one of its facilities and has cut research spending.
- Super-resolution and origami microscopes scoop R&D 100 awards
Optics and photonics technology to the fore once again, accounting for 16 of the influential magazine's 100 leading innovations.
- 'Longlife' organic solar cells embedded in glass
Fraunhofer IAP works with Corning glass to extend life of carbon-based PV system.
- imec maximizes silicon solar cell efficiency
Partnership achieves 21.5% conversion with large area industrial crystalline-silicon n-PERT design.
- Hollow fibers carry UV light without loss or damage
New PCF optical waveguides improve precision investigations in physics, chemistry and life sciences.
- Novel optics to 'revolutionize' augmented reality
UK's TruLife Optics launches device for augmented reality devices; hologram technology creates industry-disruptive applications.
- Fraunhofer merges COMEDD and FEP centers in Dresden
Shared resources will benefit development of both flexible organics and OLED-based micro displays.
- Photonics tech dominates IOP innovation awards
Three out of four selections from the Institute of Physics panel are based around optics and photonics.
- Webb backplane ready for mirror integration
Giant space telescope takes another step towards planned 2018 launch.