Optics.org News and Analysis
- VISION 2022: innovative start-ups prepare for take off in Stuttgart
VDMA MV group and Start-up Machine offers startups showacse opportunities at expo, between 4-6 October.
- Mynaric selected for DARPA laser space-comms project
Munich-based, Nasdaq-listed firm is focused on laser communications for air / space / mobile applications.
- United Launch Alliance launches missile warning satellite for U.S. Space Force
Sixth and final element of infrared constellation set to identify hostile missile launches.
- LZH develops customized dental implants in a new DFG research group
Laser additive manufacturing enabling more durable, better-fitting false teeth.
- Image processing and miniaturized optics promise enhanced hemoglobin sensing
University of Cambridge review indicates strengths and weaknesses of current technology.
- Jenoptik lifts full-year targets as sales and orders jump
Photonics firm reports fast-rising demand fueled largely by sustained semiconductor equipment boom and recent acquisitions.
- Storage and AI could boost output from solar and wind farms – Tyndall Institute
Ireland-based group researching how to reduce shutdowns at renewable energy plants.
- nLight recovers from Shanghai lockdown
Slowdown in China offset by growing traction in additive manufacturing and directed energy weapons.
- Fiber-optic sensor from spider silk points to new point-of-care diagnostics
NYCU Taiwan project uses material's light-guiding properties to detect sugar concentrations.
- Vuzix enters military HMD development deal with L3Harris Technologies…
…while Engo Eyewear launches lightweight HUD for endurance athletes to optimise performance.
- Chip-based beam steering device promises smaller, cheaper lidar
TU Denmark-developed device cuts aliasing, achieving sharp beam steering over large field of view.
- Blue laser pioneer Nuburu eyes $330M SPAC listing
Colorado company targets welding and 3D printing applications with short-wavelength systems.
- QLM wins £12M Series-A funding and venture with Schlumberger for gas detection
Quantum technology camera quantifies methane emissions and flare efficiency.
- US team 3D-prints ‘nanostructured, high-entropy’ alloys
Such ultrastrong and ductile high-performance materials have applications in aerospace, medical industries.
- MIT adapts C19th photo technique to make stretchy, color-changing films
Technique opens route to pressure-monitoring bandages, shade-shifting fabrics, and touch-sensing robots.
- Cognex outlook dimmed by fire at Indonesia contract manufacturer
Machine vision firm confirms $45M damage and supply disruption that will hurt future sales.
- Trumpf charters deep-sea container ship to beat international delivery crisis
Forty-nine laser cutting machines were last week loaded in Hamburg – set for delivery in New York by mid-August.
- PreciPoint lands €10M for digital pathology roll-out
German firm has developed a novel microscopy tool for use during cancer surgery.
- King's College London fits photoacoustic probe into biopsy needle
High-resolution imaging from 20-gauge medical needle could reduce invasive surgery.
- IPG steady as diversification brings stability
Sales inch up, with revenues from welding applications now exceeding high-power cutting in several regions.