- Industrial laser systems set for ‘continued significant growth’ – analyst
Global sales of lasers for materials processing in 2014 will have grown by 8% to $11.6bn, says Optech Consulting.
- MEMS technology adapted for mid-IR spectroscopy
Fraunhofer IPMS scientists develop sensor for key 3–12 µm “chemical security” region.
- Shanghai investment cash boosts LightPath
Optics firm wants to invest in the expansion of its own Chinese operations.
- Heavy presentation program for light festival
International Year of Light launch packs dozens of cultural, political and scientific talks into two days.
- ASML finishes year on a high
Lithography company posts record sales and a sharp increase in profit.
- UN head Ban Ki Moon opens International Year of Light
Launch ceremony at UNESCO headquarters in Paris draws 1000-plus delegates to two-day fiesta.
- Elbit to provide Blackhawk countermeasures
Asian Army selects Israeli arms firm's 'mini MUSIC' infrared system to protect its Blackhawk helicopters.
- Soitec considers its CPV options
100 jobs already lost as operations in San Diego are cut; more restructuring to follow as firm refocuses on electronics.
- Optical clearing meets challenges of live applications
Adjusting the refractive index of biological tissues can enhance a range of imaging techniques.
- Heliatek trials energy self-sufficient air dome
Building Integrated Organic Photovoltaics (BIOPV) film applied to inflatable structures.
- 18 picked for Startup Challenge semi-final
Fledgling photonics technologies represented include a laser mass spectrometer, sensors for autonomous driving and a remote glucose monitor.
- Photonic crystal nanolaser biosensor simplifies DNA detection
Could ease detection of biomarker proteins from cancer or diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- imec ups silicon solar cell efficiency to 22%
R&D group uses laser doping to boost efficiency of large area industrial crystalline-silicon n-PERT design.
- Integrated bright-dark field wafer scanning verified
Fraunhofer IPMS works with South Korean test company NextIn on smarter semiconductor tester.
- UK hospital to trial Raman probe for brain tumors
Optical biopsy scanner developed in Canada will be used for spectral mapping of brain tissue during surgery.
- Cree accuses rival of false advertising
Feit Energy and Unity Opto have ‘poisoned the well’ of the fast-growing LED lighting market, says Cree.
- Laser switching promises ‘superfast and precise’ data storage
Femtosecond pulses create characteristic “Batman” logo, while flipping memory microstructures.
- €1.2m call for Appolo laser research projects
New EC-backed R&D program promises six tranches of €200,000 for part-funding laser materials processing.
- India emerges as key PV market
Multi-gigawatt installation deal in India agreed by solar provider SunEdison as analyst IHS predicts rapid uptake.
- Iridex beats Wall St blues on strong guidance
Developer of medical laser systems cites strong tender activity amid expectations of a 16% jump in revenues this year.