- European solar installations down 36% in 2014
UK the only bright spot as the European Photovoltaic Industry Association (EPIA) issues preliminary results of its annual survey.
- Super-resolution study reveals details of genome architecture
ICFO and collaborators connect structural differences in DNA packaging to stem cell state.
- 8-strand multi-core fiber will boost optical interconnects
Sumitomo Electric development claims to be “highest-density” multi-core fiber-optic cable.
- Philips sells LED unit to China-led investment group
GO Scale Capital, part-owned by China's GSR Ventures, to acquire an 80% stake in Philips’ Lumileds and automotive lighting business unit.
- TeraView kit to boost postal security
New TeraPulse 4000 imaging system installed at University of Bordeaux laboratory.
- EPSRC commits £70m to invest across UK science research
Including substantial capital investment and backing for photonics-related R&D.
- Canada's new Chinooks get laser protection
Laser-based directional infrared countermeasure systems from Northrop Grumman designed to protect fleet from rocket attacks.
- OFC 2015: new products chase booming bandwidth
gives a taste of some of the hundreds of announcements to emerge this week.
- Nikon-bound Optos picks up 'UK PLC' technology award
Retinal imaging company is set to be acquired by Nikon in a £260M cash deal.
- OFC 2015: Infinera launches photonic ICs to support Cloud, Transport layers
Scale and virtualization are driving technological change in optical network architectures.
- LUXeXceL and Lambda Research team up on 3D-printed optics
TracePro software used to produce custom-textured lens arrays as emerging technology offers prospect of “mass customization”.
- Scottish partnership to develop photonics techniques to fight disease
Industrial-academic partnership between M-Squared Lasers and St Andrews University designed to aid medical research into cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Eckhard Beyer wins AILU International Award
For major contribution to industrial laser materials processing; Fraunhofer ILT hosting USP laser conference in April.
- Call for ten-year 'quantum' investment in UK
Newly published strategy document highlights future applications of single-photon sources, silicon waveguides and lasers.
- Australia's Centre for Nanoscale Biophotonics appoints director
Multidisciplinary research effort co-ordinated at the University of Adelaide confirms interim director Mark Hutchinson in permanent lead role.
- Diffuse optics detects spinal cord ischemia
Stony Brook Medicine probe measures both blood flow and oxygenation directly in real-time.
- IPG stock storms to $100
Market capitalization of the fiber laser firm now exceeds $5 billion.
- ProPhotonix CEO hails 'landmark' year
Tim Losik reports first full year of positive operating income in nearly two decades.
- Sol Voltaics pushes GaAs for tandem PV
Swedish company doubles conversion efficiency of its small-scale nanowire array cells; commercialization of films slated for 2017.
- Automotive ‘a great opportunity’ for photonics – analyst
Market research by Tematys finds the car industry to be a good business prospect for photonics manufacturers and reveals the in-demand technologies.