- OSA rebrands as 'Optica'
New name for The Optical Society references one of the organization's scientific journals.
- Jenoptik to boost micro-optics production in Dresden
€70M investment in cleanroom facility will more than double capacity of precision components used in lithography equipment.
- UK armed forces to trial laser weapons from 2023
Three contracts for directed energy systems awarded to consortia, with total value of £72.5M.
- SPIE Security+Defence: Raman spots traces of buried landmines
Tests at Robert Gordon University confirm ways to remotely identify explosives in soil environments.
- NeoPhotonics aims tunable laser at coherent lidar for cars and robots
Optoelectronic component maker says its 1550 nm source enables automotive lidar systems to ‘see’ well beyond 200 m.
- Gigaphoton to build new excimer laser production facility
More stable supply of key sources for semiconductor lithography equipment expected as production capacity is doubled.
- SPIE Optical Systems Design: freeform lens shrinks desktop laser cutters
Novel beam shaper developed at Vrije University Brussels also enables deeper cuts with compact diode laser systems.
- Optical lattice clock pioneers win Breakthrough Prize
Hidetoshi Katori and Jun Ye recongized for improved precision of time measurement.
- SPIE Remote Sensing: Earth observations yield new insights
The ESA future observation program employs multiple optical technologies.
- SLIM technique assists Covid-19 detection
Beckman Institute and partners employ spatial light-interference microscopy to spot virus.
- SPIE Security+Defence: TopGaN targets quantum with blue laser diodes
State-of-the-art optical clocks and quantum gravity sensors set to benefit from narrow-linewidth emitters.
- Optiswiss and Luxexcel collaborate on 3D-printed lenses for eyewear
Dutch and Swiss firms target prescription spectacles and AR smart glasses.
- Vector Photonics lands support for 1310 nm 'PCSEL' development
Work on low-power photonic crystal emitters for data center interconnects wins £600,000 from Innovate UK and seed funders.
- Argonne-led group’s ‘pivotal’ nanomaterial promises better LEDs
US and Taiwan partners develop stable perovskite nanocrystals to extend LED lifetime.
- James Webb Space Telescope launch date set for December 18
$9 billion observatory will be shipped to French Guiana launch site via Panama Canal.
- Countdown to VISION as expo returns to Stuttgart next month
Organizer says in-person event is “positive signal” to international machine vision market and economy.
- Infrared threat warning system enters production for Italian military
Leonardo’s Multi Aperture InfraRed system going into AW169M multirole helicopter for Italian Army.
- IQE sees flat outlook as VCSEL market matures with smaller chips
UK epiwafer foundry also says it has identified a successor to outgoing CEO Drew Nelson.
- Color-changing coating offers new responsive materials
TUE research into how liquid crystals respond to wavelength could be used in energy-saving smart windows.
- ‘Smart’ windows adjust opacity to cut solar warming – and the need for costly air con
Fraunhofer-developed system uses electrochromic and thermochromic materials that react to light, electricity and heat.