- Fast-growing ams investing $200M in Singapore expansion
Clean room for micro-optic sensors will sit alongside new VCSEL development and production line.
- Source Photonics and Credo transmit single lambda 100G over 20km
Demo at ECOC 2017 promises lower cost 100G transmission and industry accelerating development of 400G links.
- UK team shows off 'Dragonfire' laser weapon design
MBDA-led consortium aiming for field trials in 2019 and future deployment on Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers.
- Plenoptic camera reveals detailed structure of human iris
University of Michigan project offers route to identifying tumor precursors.
- Augmedics raises $8.3M for surgical visualization development
'Smart augmented reality optics' from Israeli startup tipped to disrupt minimally invasive surgery.
- NASA tests laser-printed alloy for future rocket parts
First prototype component to be produced from two different metal alloys using laser additive technique.
- Toshiba speeds quantum key beyond 10 Mb/s
Engineers at the Japanese firm push single-photon encryption method with new high-speed detectors.
- LightPath optimistic despite Irma power outage
Recent acquisition of ISP Optics has boosted bottom line at infrared component and optical assembly firm.
- Tracing light inside an LED leads to higher efficiency
Method developed by the University of Twente and Philips Lighting boosts efficiency, makes for powerful design tools.
- SPIE leaders join Imperial College's optics centenary celebration
Imperial launched its groundbreaking courses into the science of light just a year after Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity was published.
- ULO Optics aquires Laser Beam Products
UK infrared optics developer expands with acquisition of specialist mirror maker.
- LED systems maker ProPhotonix posts generally positive interims
First six months of 2017 saw better revenues and gross profits, although income slipped back.
- Defects in perovskite solar cells 'healed' with light
Cambridge-led team finds that earlier temporary treatment of next-gen cells can be made permanent under condition of ideal humidity.
- Trumpf opens €26m ‘smart factory’ in Chicago
New tech center showcases interaction between people, machines, automation, software and Industry 4.0 solutions.
- 'MuReA' technique enables rapid laser processing applications
Fraunhofer IWS develops flexible laser materials processing and control system for metals, polymers and more.
- DeLIVER project aims for high-resolution study of liver tissues
Bielefeld University and partners will develop methods to study how liver cells change over time.
- Optical test firm Exfo bids to buy Yenista Optics
Quebec-based optical test giant aims to buy French R&D test specialist to grow market share across global sales channels.
- University of Bonn probes human retina behavior
Adaptive optics helps reveal how color signals are conveyed on a cellular level.
- NY Photonics and Greater Rochester Enterprise form strategic partnership
Key aims are to leverage region’s advantages in optics technologies and to attract new business.
- Innoviz raises $65m as its solid-state LiDAR starts production
Partners Delphi Automotive and Magna International join new and existing investors.