- Fortum invests €5.2m in PV cell firm Exeger
Nordic energy giant backs development of printable "indoor solar cells" for consumer electronics roles.
- Photonics opportunities emerge with UK research hubs
£60M government investment in six targeted technology themes promoted as element of UK’s industrial strategy spending.
- Photon shape influences light-matter interactions
Singapore team shows how photons with rising or falling energy are absorbed differently; could inform design of quantum devices.
- Laser technique reveals bird-wing 'contrails'
Particle imaging velocimetry shows how wing-beat vortices break up in similar manner to wake turbulence generated by airliners.
- US Army contracts BAE Systems to supply thermal weapon sights
$384m deal to provide machine gunners with sights that deliver target information to a HUD whatever the lighting conditions.
- Honeywell supplies laser navigation to British ‘Ajax’ tanks
Next generation of UK's fighting vehicles will stay on target with TALIN inertial navigation system.
- Oxford PV lands Statoil investment
First investment in solar technology by the oil and gas giant’s venture wing complemented by deal to develop hybrid perovskite cells with major silicon manufacturer.
- In memoriam: Joe Yaver, SPIE leader; optics visionary
Society’s long-serving former executive director and driving force behind what became the Photonics West event dies at 83.
- LZH and Coherent collaborate on mobile laser cutter for road traffic accidents
Kilowatt-class fiber laser system under development with Volkswagen could help free people trapped in vehicles.
- SPIE chiefs welcome small-business R&D legislation
Future of SBIR and STTR programs secured in compromise agreement for US National Defense Authorization Act.
- €10M EC backing for Czech 'HiLASE' center of excellence
UK’s Central Laser Facility involved in industrial laser technology transfer effort with €45M total funding.
- SLM enables cheap, wavelength-selectable microscopy
University of Chicago group adapts microscope to permit spectrum-specific observation of target structures.
- Solid growth and fat order book mark Gooch & Housego's positive 2016
Preliminary results for the year reveal 9% boost for sales and profits, after military and aerospace acquisitions.
- VTT creates hyperspectral iPhone camera
Users will be able to monitor health, environment and diverse situations by full-spectrum cellphone.
- Doppler lidar under test for planetary landing
NASA team hopes that triple-laser system will improve chances of successful touch-down on Mars.
- Fraunhofer FEP presents flexible OLEDs from PI-SCALE pilot
Flexible OLEDs offer “new possibilities for special lighting”; debut at Display Workshops, Japan, from December 7–9.
- ‘SLIC’ optical infection analyzer cuts test time to 20 minutes
Prizewinning St Andrews' Scattered Light Integrated Collector slashes bacterial resistance review from days to minutes.
- Zeiss gets agile with EPFL research deal
Collaboration will see Swiss Federal Institute of Technology receive €1 million from the German optics giant.
- II-VI breaks ground on VCSEL site expansion
Epiworks facility in Champaign, Illinois, was acquired earlier this year by the growing laser and materials company.
- Dianov wins 2017 John Tyndall Award
Russian Academy of Sciences professor recognized for key developmental work in nonlinear fiber optics.