Optics.org News and Analysis
- L3 sees electro-optics business booming
Military contractor’s Wescam subsidiary posts record order levels and double-digit growth fueled partly by drone demand.
- Phablabs 4.0 project encourages girls into STEM sector
EU photonics initiative being staged in 10 European countries; 1221 girls have attended engagement activities since 2018.
- CILAS to make adaptive optics mirrors for giant Hawaii telescope
Ariane subsidiary signs deal to provide largest piezoelectric deformable mirrors ever fabricated.
- Queen's Birthday Honours reward photonics stars
UK science and industry figures recognized for research, education and business achievements.
- Cheap microlens fabrication method uses single laser pulse
Simple technique developed at Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa, is "poised to expand applications", say developers.
- Infrared frequency comb identifies bio-samples and more
Breakthrough system from NIST-led international group detects key wavelengths using photodiodes operating in the near-infrared.
- Emberion to present graphene photonics developments at LASER
Various new products and associated software will be on show at LASER World of Photonics event.
- Sense Photonics lands $26M venture round
Durham, North Carolina, startup joins the stampede chasing emerging market for lidar systems in autonomous vehicles.
- Lidar system enables visual effects for Game of Thrones
Imaging hardware & software from Teledyne Optech uses 3D data acquisition to recreate "old Dubrovnik" set.
- 'First light' for direct exoplanet imager
Collaboration between European Southern Observatory and Breakthrough Initiatives begins search for Earth-like planets in the cosmic backyard.
- Hamamatsu light-sheet cytometer promises faster cell culture analysis
Platform based on company's Zyncscan technology facilitates high-throughput fluorescence imaging.
- M-Squared shortlisted for MacRobert Award
UK’s Royal Academy of Engineering includes the Glasgow laser firm as one of four finalists competing for its innovation prize.
- Laser head to combine cut and weld functions with additive manufacturing
Latest progress on Fraunhofer-led project for electric vehicle production to feature at LASER World of Photonics.
- Velodyne, Quanergy clash over lidar patent ruling
Quanergy to appeal decision by US Patent Trial and Appeals Board supporting Velodyne patent covering autonomous vehicle and machine vision applications.
- Sofradir and ULIS become Lynred
By streamlining operations, Lynred will accelerate delivery of new detection technologies to market.
- Japan team makes blue-emitting organic laser diodes
Developers at Kyushu University say organic laser diodes produce purer light; KOALA Tech established to commercialize.
- Tucson pair team up on directed energy
Applied Energetics and Applied Optical Sciences join forces to work on laser-generated 'man-made lightning'.
- LightOx and CPI partner for development of anti-cancer treatments
Collaboration follows opening of the National Healthcare Photonics Centre to support SMEs.
- Protolabs extends production capabilities for its metal 3D laser printing
New AM process at Minneapolis manufacturer ensures production-level part quality through enhanced secondary processing.
- Hand-held scanner detects hazardous substances on site
Sensor developed by CHEQUERS consortium detects explosive, toxic and other dangerous materials in real time, designed for emergency personnel.