Optics.org News and Analysis
- Finisar climbs to all-time sales record
Revenues of $294 million in the latest period represented the company’s sixth consecutive quarter of growth.
- TI launches near infrared systems for spectroscopy
Versatile, rugged processor and scanner take analysis into field and production line.
- Global photonics sales to 'beat global GDP growth by 50%'
VDMA's Photonics Congress forecasts rapid growth of the sector in Germany and beyond.
- US photovoltaics installations up 41% in 2013
GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industry Association report nearly 4.8GW of new PV capacity came on line last year.
- Cancer cell imaging method spots key growth factors
Swiss team combines laser technique with mass spectrometry to visualize factors involved in cancer development.
- Zecotek developing 3D laser printer with LT-Pyrkal
“More efficient methods” of printing 3D objects from large spectrum of materials.
- Powerful 3D spectrograph ‘MUSE’ installed on Very Large Telescope
Now delivering hi-res astronomical images, probing early Universe.
- NASA budget request prioritizes solar propulsion
Completion of the James Webb Space Telescope and technology development for wide-field infrared telescope also highlighted.
- Lighting shift to slash energy consumption – IHS
Energy used for general illumination set to plummet by a quarter between now and the end of the decade.
- UCSB lasers marry quantum dots and silicon
Combination of high-performance devices and low-cost base material suggests cheaper photonic integration.
- Rofin to commercialize FiLaser technology
Deal with Portland, Oregon, developer of cutting processes for brittle materials expected to close in March.
- Blu-ray technology detects microorganisms, toxins
Economical, disc-based optical technique from Spain adapted for diverse commercial applications.
- Kepler data trawl finds 715 more exoplanets
New analysis of data collected by the NASA space observatory verifies hundreds of small-sized planets.
- Sales of optical splitters, fiber sensors set for significant growth
FTTH deployment dominates the PLC splitter market, while military and aerospace still taking lion’s share of sensors.
- Belgian team develops 'stretchable' optics
Flexible polymer waveguide extends 30%, to enable new bio and robotic applications.
- HelioVolt halts operations as investor SK pulls plug
Another developer of CIGS-based thin-film solar technology hits troubled waters.
- TSI buys Raman specialist Enwave Optronics
Deal expands Minnesota company’s spectroscopy instrumentation offering.
- ExxonMobil licenses InteliRed remote gas detector to Providence Photonics
Infrared scanning system spots hydrocarbon leak threats up to 500m away.
- SRI International launches FASTcell cancer cell screening system
For identification and characterization of "circulating cancer cells".
- BARDOT allows faster, easier detection of Salmonella
Purdue University uses laser scattering to identify specific bacteria.