Optics.org News and Analysis
- SilverArrow sticks the boot in as Rofin is stung by China cancellations
Stock drops 10% but the industrial laser firm says it will be first to market with 2.5kW fiber laser modules later this year.
- Anti-troll collective to meet at Photonics West
Laser firms accused by Texas shell company of infringing an old Polaroid patent invited to gather at Intercontinental Hotel during conference.
- Twente achieves super-sharp images from fiber endoscopes
European project achieves lensless imaging of human body interiors through thin optical fibers.
- Silicon photonics 'will not disrupt market until after 2020'
Analyst LightCounting says SiP developers – and markets – must wait longer for “next big thing” to happen.
- Polarization switching could boost guide-star brightness
Alternating laser between right and left circular polarization will generate brighter beacons for adaptive optics, researchers say.
- Nokia Bell Labs reboots bandwidth variable transmitter
Self-reconfiguring “BVT” expected to be a crucial part of flexible, optimized networks to handle booming data.
- New class of optical soliton discovered
Researchers at CUDOS, Australia, excited by the unexpected discovery of 'pure-quartic' wave in a silicon photonics chip.
- Space data network deploys first laser terminal
First dedicated 'node' of the €500 million optical European Data Relay System launched from Kazakhstan.
- Photonics West to feature BRAIN initiative progress update
Members of the National Photonics Initiative's neuroscience 'task force' to reveal technology progress at San Francisco meeting.
- Quantum dots land a lethal blow on superbugs
University of Colorado project suggests clinical phototherapy as a treatment for drug-resistant infections.
- Printed micro-lasers combat pharma and other fraud
Invisible "Ilumink" photonic signatures protect authentic drugs and valuable goods against counterfeiters.
- QCL developer Stratium targets gas sensing
Sheffield spin-out sets up in Cardiff to take advantage of local compound semiconductor expertise and investment.
- Coherent storms up on record bookings and backlog
Investment in organic LED production equipment generates surge in both orders and stock price.
- Ireland, US team to advance integrated optoelectronics packaging
$3M research project revolves around principal investigators in Tucson, Dublin and Belfast.
- Bloomberg identifies UK innovators – many using photonics
Impact of lasers, optics and imaging is clear in new business "hot list".
- Trumpf UK announces new materials processing systems
Luton conference learns of new steel cutting machines, installations and market view.
- II-VI keen to get 'ahead of the curve' on VCSELs
Company sees large market for consumer applications emerging, but could face a battle to complete planned Anadigics acquisition.
- Smart glasses sector 'resurgent' says analyst Lux
But pioneer Google Glass no longer market leader as rivals Sony, ODG and others steal a march with devices for enterprise apps.
- Petawatt laser system passes key milestone
Lawrence Livermore, developing HAPLS system for ELI Beamlines, reports power breakthrough – two months early.
- Laser experiments test Einstein’s gravity theory
FBH Berlin involved in projects using diode lasers to investigate relativity.