Optics.org News and Analysis
- Fourth SBIRS launch joins missile-warning constellation
Lockheed Martin confirms that scan-and-stare sensors payload is communicating with US Air Force following Florida launch.
- Silicon photonics 'at tipping point' – analyst
Yole Développement senses start of ‘massive’ deployment in data centers and beyond.
- Skanska launches 'first' perovskite solar cell film on buildings
In partnership with Saule Technologies, this printable photovoltaic overlay generates power while helping to counter global warming.
- Photonics-based research to test limits of quantum theory
€4.4m European 'TEQ' project to investigate universal background noise by laser.
- UK marks Year of Engineering with £6.6m new funding for R&D
Photonics-heavy research projects part of new investment package into high-tech firms and universities.
- International R&D venture to probe quantum optics
New Max Planck Harvard Research Center for Quantum Optics brings together researchers from two leading quantum photonics centers.
- ASML rises to all-time high as litho demand strengthens
Market capitalization tops €80 BN after what CEO describes as a 'fantastic year'.
- Finisar appoints Broadcom executive as new CEO
Michael Hurlston replaces long-time chief Jerry Rawls at major optoelectronics manufacturer.
- Hyperspectral imaging detects tumor margins in real-time
HELICoiD project applies the technique to human brain cancer, with clinical studies intended to follow.
- Agilent buys Cork’s Luxcel Biosciences
R&D expansion provides competencies in biosensor chemistry and analytical bioassaying.
- Volvo and NTU to trial autonomous electric buses in Singapore…
…and Osram demonstrates how infrared pulsed lasers are promoting adoption of autonomous vehicles and ADAS.
- Jim Hough wins astronomy accolade for gravity-wave optics
University of Glasgow professor led development of suspended mirror technology used by LIGO and Virgo facilities.
- Iridex sues Quantel over claimed MicroPulse infringement
US medical laser firm says its French rival has been using its intellectual property without authorization.
- UK government ‘to clamp down further’ on unsafe lasers
Announces measures to tackle sale of unsafe pointers – following last month’s Misuse of Lasers bill.
- CES 2018: Photonics-based wearables and VR-AR human-machine interfaces
The latest showcase of novel technologies for monitoring health and fitness, motorcycle communications, enhanced VR gaming.
- CES 2018: Round-up of new vehicle-focused photonics technologies
Automotive vision systems boost driver and self-drive safety; they can even spot when drivers doze off then drive them to safety.
- Schott casts first six segments for ELT's primary mirror
Six down, but more than 900 still to go as the first few components are produced at Schott’s facility in Mainz, Germany.
- Mellanox to cease 1550nm silicon photonics development
Such business is "not accretive", around 100 staff to be cut; but impact will be minimal on transceivers, VOAs, and LinkX cable business.
- Rockley and Hengtong set up $42m joint venture
Silicon photonics products to serve global networks with low-power demand and superior economics.
- Lidar in vogue at CES 2018
Proliferation of the laser ranging technology in Las Vegas, as multiple developers showcase autonomous vehicle utility.