- microLED display developer Plessey to work with Facebook
Objective is to help Facebook prototype new optical technologies for applications in AR/VR space.
- Business update: latest industry responses to Covid-19
Photonics organizations and companies continue to adapt to the pandemic, with significant trading continuing in new ways.
- LZH demonstrates laser method to prospect undersea minerals
EU-funded project ROBUST examining marine soil samples on Pacific floor non-destructively.
- UK team devises life-saving breathing aid for the NHS in 100 hours
Development by UCL-led group with Oxford Optronix can cut Covid-19 patient need for intensive care beds.
- Olympus Global Image of the Year 2019 winners revealed
Competition demonstrated versatility of fluorescence microscopy in imaging biological samples.
- Second Sight to wind down on Covid-19 impact
Company developing artificial vision for blind people for past 20 years lays off the majority of its workforce with immediate effect.
- II-VI ramps output of diagnostic testing parts to battle Covid-19
Components and subassemblies for molecular diagnosis of polymerase chain reaction testing to boost researchers' resources.
- ASML cuts guidance but sees no drop in demand for lithography systems
Semiconductor equipment giant is working through Chinese shipment delays and supply chain disruption.
- Basler issues cautious outlook after solid 2019
Maker of machine vision components anticipates gradual improvement in China amid sharp decline elsewhere.
- Laser diodes grown directly on silicon substrates promise cheaper sensors
University of Montpellier project studied epitaxial integration of mid-IR laser sources.
- Covid-19 lockdown slashes pollution over Europe
Data from Copernicus Sentinel-5P reveal strong reductions in NO pollution levels over Paris, Rome, Madrid.
- Kyocera buying Showa Optronics to strengthen components offering
Acquisition of Japan-based firm intended to maximize synergy through combined technologies.
- Covid-19 impacts business – but some positive signs
Global economy headed for recession, smart phone output could drop 30% in H1 2020 – but many photonics companies dig in.
- Apple unveils new iPad Pro featuring LiDAR scanner
“Pro” cameras, LiDAR, motion sensors and its Liquid Retina display suit the iPad Pro to augmented reality applications.
- Jenoptik puts dividend payment and 2020 outlook under review
Coronavirus emergency expected to hit consumer and automotive sectors hardest, thinks the German optics company.
- Zeiss light sheet microscopy allows multiview imaging of cleared tissues
Lightsheet 7 platform designed to reduce imaging artifacts in optical sections.
- ams expects Osram deal to conclude by mid-year
Sensor firm says €1.65 BN rights issue partially funding the merger is proceeding as expected.
- Chip-based devices feature optics for QKD datacoms
University of Bristol group says they will become part of secure "household internet connections".
- Blickfeld eyes lidar ramp with series A funds
Munich-based MEMS lidar startup wins backing from Continental and Osram, among others.
- Deformable mirror assists detection of gravitational waves
University of Adelaide project could prove useful for many beam-shaping applications.