- ESO’s Guide Star Facility now fully operational
Chile-based facility upgrade features four Toptica guide star lasers.
- IPG slides from record high
Market reacts negatively to latest results from the fiber laser giant, knocking 15% off stock value.
- Philips Photonics team wins AKL innovation award for VCSEL arrays
Biannual gong goes to Aachen group’s development of semiconductor laser technology for thermal processing.
- European Research Council splashes €4m on photonics projects
Two grants have been awarded to biological imaging and laser material research projects in Germany.
- MKS: Newport deal set to complete imminently
Dennis Werth lined up for leadership role, with current Newport CEO offered post on the MKS board of directors.
- Coherence switching allows multimodality imaging from one source
Yale University VECSEL-based device offers new versatility in imaging of living systems.
- Laser scanner spots metal-rich minerals from underwater vehicle
Developed by four-year ROBUST project, the LZH system uses LIBS, like ExoMars probe.
- II-VI rises on record bookings
Company executives outline VCSEL production ramp plan following twin acquisitions of Anadigics and Epiworks.
- e2v to develop CMOS detectors for new weather satellites
Sensors will offer extended spectral range that will also help climate forecasting.
- Sentinel 1B launched to complete radar pair
ESA fires satellite into orbit to extend laser communications and advanced imaging capability for earth scanning.
- Sydney nanoscience center opens with strong focus on photonics
Leading lights in photonics research attend official opening of the Australian Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology.
- IPO back on the agenda at Philips Lighting
Improved sentiment in equity markets makes IPO increasingly likely; LEDs now account for half of all lighting sales.
- Optoscribe eyes expansion after venture investment
Heriot-Watt University spin-out has developed waveguides that connect optical fibers with arrays of emitters or receivers.
- Researchers developing programmable optical chips
Partnership between Southampton and Bordeaux achieve control of integrated optical circuits with patterns of light.
- SPIE DCS 2016: DARPA evokes The Matrix with brain implant project
Thought zero-power brain implants were a Hollywood fantasy? Not if DARPA succeeds in research now under way.
- Photonics firms recognised in Queen's Awards for exports and innovation
Among more than 240 British businesses celebrating monarch’s 90th birthday with awards.
- ASML chief: IoT impact remains a mystery
But CEO Peter Wennink expects to start seeing results from customer tests of the latest EUV equipment in the third quarter.
- BRIDLE project reports positive diode lasers progress
As 3-year project concludes, European partners detail their achievements in performance improvements and efficiency.
- SPIE DCS 2016: explosives detector could save lives
Alakai Defense Systems now taking orders for Raman equipment featuring ultraviolet excitation.
- Nanosys accuses QD rival over ‘cheap knock-offs’
QD Vision is the subject of a patent lawsuit with no fewer than 13 accusations of infringement.