- 3D Systems presents webinar on direct metal printing
Solving a real engineering challenge, demonstrates flexibility of laser additive manufacturing.
- Progress on UV conversion at IPG
Fiber laser company reports yet another record quarter as sales and margins rise strongly.
- GLE suspends Silex laser treatment of uranium as market bites
Focus switches to reduced US program after Japanese shutdown narrows market; Silex hopes for resumption when conditions pick up.
- Bruker snaps up super-resolution microscopy firm
University of Utah spin-out Vutara acquired by the scientific instrumentation giant.
- Laser reveals ‘liquid’ motion of atoms in clusters
Leicester, UK-led project opens the door to development of novel nano-materials.
- Imec demonstrates 28G Si-photonics platform for WDM interconnects
Shown at July's Integrated Photonics Research meet in San Diego; Belgian R&D center's next fab-runs in fall 2014 now open for registration.
- 3S Photonics in receivership
Private equity owner Eurazeo seeks a buyer for the French maker of optoelectronic components.
- Polymer solar cell reaches 11.5% efficiency
Triple-junction device developed by UCLA research team suggests that more efficiency gains are within reach.
- UK’s Royal Academy of Engineering rewards photonics innovators
New Research Fellowships recognise high-capacity fiber breakthrough and bloodflow imaging method.
- Commercial sales up at FLIR Systems
But the thermal imaging giant reports an overall slowdown in sales following its restructuring.
- Sales and orders rise strongly at Trumpf
Preliminary figures from the machine tool and laser company show order growth of 16 per cent.
- European Commission publishes ICT 2015 call
Photonics element of Horizon 2020 focuses on data centers, laser-based manufacturing and photonic integrated circuits.
- Organic image sensor start-up eyes mass production
Grenoble-based ISORG has raised €6.4M in its latest round of venture finance.
- Laser oscillator could replace quartz in future electronics
Research project at Caltech shows terahertz oscillations possible for diverse electronics applications.
- Optical techniques reveal secrets of barnacle cement
Discovery promises novel synthetic bioadhesives for medical implants, micro-electronics.
- 3D developer EOS moves into new HQ in Germany
Marks 25th anniversary with 17,000m 2 plant, accommodating a further 300 staff.
- FLIR launches 'ONE' thermal imager for iPhone
Much-trailed $350 accessory puts infrared imaging hardware in the hands of the consumer.
- Lightwave Logic lands $3M investment
Capital will support company's operations through 2015, says the developer of polymer electro-optics.
- Biolase raises cash to repay debts
Injection of money from shareholders and directors will pay off Comerica Bank loan amid more boardroom acrimony.
- Commercial markets for infrared imaging systems expanding
Smartphone applications, low-cost cores widen encourage consumer applications, says Yole Développement.