Optics.org News and Analysis
- 3D-printed robot fingertip wins in Soft Robotics contest
Harvard SEAS competition rewards low-cost tactile sensor, artificial fin, deformation sensor and robot "worm".
- ams launches range of low-cost multispectral sensors
On-chip NIR/visible sensors intended to replace bulky benchtop lab analyzers with hand-held equivalents.
- Optical magnetic recording promises cooler data storage
Netherlands-Poland team use laser to write data onto cobalt-doped garnet, with ultra-low thermal cost.
- Velodyne opens lidar 'megafactory'
San Jose facility set to churn out a million lidar sensors in 2018, with a new lab in nearby Alameda.
- ASML's EUV tool backlog hits €2BN
Orders for more production units prompts CEO Peter Wennink to say company is moving into 'next phase' of EUV industrialization.
- Cephalogics awarded US patent for high-density diffuse OCT system
Company has been developing non-invasive, portable system to improve clinicians’ understanding of brain blood-flow.
- Satellite-borne alexandrite laser to aid climate studies
Fraunhofer ILT supporting ALISE project with Leibniz Institute and Airbus Defence & Space to develop pumped alexandrite laser.
- Shanghai team develops 'world's brightest VUV free-electron laser'
Dalian Coherent Light Source offers tunability from 50 nm to 150 nm in the vacuum ultraviolet spectrum.
- New laser diodes promise compact optoacoustic platforms
Project led by the University at Buffalo shows clinical viability of compact lasers for biomedical imaging.
- $15M equity round for phone camera startup Corephotonics
Israeli firm specializing in new 'dual camera' and folding optics technology wins backing from Samsung and Foxconn.
- Light-sheet microscope startup Luxendo raises €8M
Heidelberg firm spun out of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory investing in production capacity and plans to launch new quantitative fluorescence imaging tool.
- Gas pipelines to get fiber-optic monitors
Southern California Gas to install technology on all new and replacement pipelines to detect leaks and damage.
- Startup Challenge shortlist spans health, food safety and smart cars
SPIE Photonics West 2017 is almost upon us and with it diverse photonics competitions and new promotional events.
- Novanta ups Laser Quantum stake to 76%
£25.5M cash investment means UK laser firm effectively becomes a subsidiary of company formerly known as GSI Group.
- Panasonic buys direct diode laser maker TeraDiode
To reinforce Japanese giant's laser processing business with TeraDiode's direct diode laser technology.
- GE investing $10m in additive manufacturing education
School and college programs to develop talent in 3D production technologies and strengthen GE's position in emerging markets.
- Upgraded VLT to hunt for 'habitable' exoplanets
Private backer Breakthrough Initiatives to pay for new mid-infrared adaptive optics capability.
- Corning picks up 'Emmy' recognizing optical fiber impact
Gong celebrates growing influence of low-loss optical fiber on broadcast technology in a bandwidth-hungry world.
- CES 2017 round-up: LeddarTech, FLIR, Kopin, Vuzix et al
Thermal imaging for drones, augmented reality headsets and smart sunglasses vied for attention with autonomous vehicle technology at the Las Vegas jamboree.
- MBDA team confirmed for £30M UK laser weapon demonstrator
Ministry of Defence selects 'Dragonfire' consortium, with full laser weapons capability earmarked for mid-2020s.