- KLA-Tencor cuts back EUV investment
Workforce set to be cut by up to 10% amid lack of demand for KLA’s extreme UV lithography mask inspection tool.
- Printing silicon on paper offers benefits for microelectronics
Dutch-Japanese team develops low-temperature method to layer silicon on substrate from "ink" using laser pulse.
- Fiber laser plan to clear space debris
Wide-angle telescope and high-efficiency CAN laser form "blueprint"; trial project heading for ISS to cut threats to satellites.
- DSS 2015: defense and security components showcased
High-spec cameras, sensors, lenses and more in abundance at SPIE's Baltimore exhibition and conference,
- ASML boosted by 15-system EUV order
Stock price up sharply on news that a US customer will buy at least 15 extreme ultraviolet lithography tools.
- Cree hit by winter weather as profits evaporate
Fall in gross margins attributed to inventory adjustment sees LED lighting company’s earnings plummet.
- Axys deploys Zephir lidar to enhance windfarm potential
Weather sensing specialist claims "world-first and new standard" with floating lidar to optimize wind power yield.
- DSS 2015: photonics 'crucial' for next-gen warfighters
Plenary talk by retired US Army colonel and engineer David Brown calls for “technology surprises” through science and engineering.
- Photonics firms recognized by Queen’s Awards 2015
Innovation and export awards for photonics companies across the UK.
- Soitec confirms concentrated PV 'disposal'
French company also agrees loans with supplier and state-funded CEA authority to shore up its finances.
- Selective laser melting embeds optical sensors into stainless steel
Heriot-Watt method allows integrated sensors for intelligent structures.
- Hanergy to make GaAs solar cells in Wuhan
Investment in a 10 MW production facility follows acquisition of Californian start-up Alta Devices.
- Graphene scientists develop ultrafast photodetectors
European Grapheme Flagship reports on diverse applications, potential for bandgap development.
- Trumpf buys JK Lasers from GSI Group for $31.5m
Laser giant Trumpf's subsidiary SPI Lasers takes on GSI's UK offshoot, a specialist in industrial and fiber lasers.
- Scientists develop technique to reduce 'halo' effect caused by lenses
Presbyopia sufferers could have a clearer view for night-driving, reading with "smoothed" lenses.
- Hannover Fair 2015: 3D measurement of assets under water
Fraunhofer IOF presents a compact, versatile system to support marine operations.
- Photolithography giant ASML reports Q1 sales of €1.65bn
Sales and 47% margin both “in line with guidance”; similar figures forecast for Q2, 2015.
- Nokia to take over Alcatel-Lucent in €15.6bn deal
New-look Nokia will be “innovation leader” in next-gen technology and services for IP connected world.
- New route to glasses-free 3D displays
Tsinghua University system uses MEMS scanning units to avoid pitfalls of existing designs.
- Optical fiber slows photons 'to a standstill'
Vienna experiment slows and stops light – promising networkable quantum computing, say researchers.