- Mortar melted in UK laser weapon test
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory hoping to deliver demonstrator system by 2019.
- Photonics21's #next_photonics.forum opens in Brussels
Welcome from new president Aldo Kamper and €5,000 Student Award for VUB-developed food-spectroscopy innovation.
- OFC 2017: launches, talks reflect 'escalating growth'
Los Angeles expo showcases latest developments in silicon photonics, 5G networking and Internet of Things.
- Teledyne completes £627M e2v takeover
Deal announced in December 2016 sees the UK imaging sensor maker become part of the larger US operation.
- Novel nanosensor promises more accurate brain mapping
Fluorescence imaging reveals details of potassium ion activity within the brain.
- Carl Zeiss Meditec claims patent win
German court takes action over 'trifocal' lenses used in cataract surgery as company raises €317M in new capital for acquisitions.
- Kaiam eyes UK facility to make PICs
US firm set to acquire Newton Aycliffe compound semiconductor wafer fab; deal involves investment by current occupant Compound Photonics.
- AIM presents roadmap for US integrated photonics
400-page study highlights market drivers and investment targets for US photonics through 2030.
- Red-and-blue sensitive PV cells could double conversion efficiency
Norway-Romania team say future solar cells can become twice as efficient – with a few smart nano-tricks.
- Qioptiq wins $100m surveillance contract from UK Ministry of Defence
Excelitas Technology division will provide equipment and know-how for MOD’s surveillance and target acquisition support needs.
- Ultra-thin nanomaterials set to improve environmental sensing
Chalmers University of Technology develops sensors based on dark excitons.
- Double-laser treatment structures metal surfaces better
Fraunhofer ILT’s eVerest project to develop automotive metal surface processing machine using pico- and nanosecond pulses.
- High-power 5 TW source developed for ELI-ALPS project
Ekspla and Light Conversion design new Sylos 1 laser to meet requirements of European research center.
- AIM Photonics welcomes Coventor as its newest member
Process modeling specialist will enable manufacture of high-yield, high-performance integrated photonics.
- ams to acquire VCSEL developer Princeton Optronics for up to $75 million
Deal extends Austrian firm ams’s value chain in sensing solutions for mobile 3D sensing, AR-VR and automotive markets.
- Lockheed Martin to deliver ‘record-setting’ 60kW laser to US Army
Beam-combined fiber laser is the most powerful laser of its type yet demonstrated; now to be truck-mounted.
- Luxtera and TSMC partner to produce high-spec Si-photonics platform
US-Taiwanese pair to develop silicon-based solutions for cloud, mobile, enterprise, and high-performance computing platforms.
- SOLUS Project aims for more accurate breast cancer diagnosis
European system will combine ultrasound, elastography and diffuse optical tomography.
- Laser gyroscope project tests Einstein's General theory
Italian scientists dip deep for laser experiments to measure Earth’s rotational effects at greatest ever sensitivity.
- Subsea lidar to map ocean floor with centimeter resolution
Laser-based system already used by Monterey Bay aquarium to investigate at depths of nearly 3 km.