- Plessey expands LED production with £6.7M grant
UK-based developer of light-emitting semiconductors grown on silicon substrates to increase capacity by a factor of 30.
- Laser process bio-fabricates artificial blood vessels
As part of European ArtiVasc 3D project, which is also creating artificial multi-layered skin.
- Single photon lidar promising for 3D digital elevation scanning
US Geological Survey evaluating Single Photon Lidar as potential tool for US 3D mapping.
- Mitsubishi Electric supplying Doppler Lidars to Hong Kong Airport
First Japanese company to supply Terminal Doppler Lidars outside of Japan for predicting wind behavior.
- Photonics Ireland unveils 'action plan'
Education minister calls for more than 100 PhD students to be trained in photonics by 2020 at Cork launch event.
- US group develops 3D-printing technique for optical glass
MIT labs and Harvard institute collaborate to enable "creative freedom and bespoke production" of optical glass pieces.
- Canon develops aberration-reducing optical element
L-Series lens first to feature Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics, for “higher Level” of chromatic aberration correction to boost image quality.
- Northrop Grumman lands $35M countermeasures deal
US Army awards development grant to Northrop Grumman partnership involving Daylight Solutions and Selex ES.
- New CEO slashes GTAT workforce by 40%
Provider of furnaces for manufacturing sapphire expects to emerge from bankruptcy proceedings in the first quarter of 2016.
- OmniVision ticks down on China volatility
Image sensor firm issues conservative financial guidance in wake of stock market fluctuations.
- Seatronics makes first UK sale of 2G Robotics' laser scanner
ULS-200 underwater laser scanner offers benefits over conventional sonar system for oil companies and more.
- Neurosurgeons identify malign tumors with optical biopsy
Surgical team at Cologne hospital uses Mauna Kea's Cellvizio system in the operating room.
- Raman method improves colonoscopy test for cancer
Optical Raman spectra of blood reveals “simple fingerprint”; less invasive approach should encourage patient take-up.
- Boston spin-out RayVio to ramp deep-UV LED production
Company closed $9.3 million series B round of financing earlier this year.
- Heidelberg licenses swept-source OCT tech
Exclusive global deal grants rights to 77 patents and applications for the novel approach in ophthalmology.
- Sensuron spins out of 4DSP and launches fiber optic sensors
Sensors, co-developed with NASA, monitor systems in demanding environments to encourage sustainable development.
- Optical WDM metro market hits ‘record level’
Research by Dell'Oro Group says Ciena, Huawei, and ZTE have captured half the market.
- TSMC pulls plug on CIGS solar effort
Even the giant semiconductor foundry cannot find a way to sell modules based on the thin-film PV material profitably.
- NKT sells Vytran subsidiary to Thorlabs
US firm continues its recent expansion with acquisition of fiber fusing specialist.
- Non-invasive, laser doppler system detects skin cancer
UK-Italian partnership accurately detects malignant melanomas without need for a biopsy.