- S+D 2016: New approaches to hyperspectral imaging
Pollution monitoring by remote MIR camera and improved image gathering by new "gimballed" systems, were described.
- L’Oréal and Poietis target laser-printed hair follicle
Exclusive research partnership between the cosmetics giant and French bioprinting start-up focuses on ‘hair engineering’.
- S+D 2016: Key to growing military business – invest in R&D
Sir Brian Burridge, Leonardo SVP and UK military leader, imparts his wisdom on developing and marketing combat-ready photonics.
- S+D 2016: Fiber lasers and quantum photonics show great promise
SPIE’s Edinburgh Defense & Security meet hears inspirational plenaries from Payne and Knight.
- CIGS/perovskite tandem module reaches 17.8%
European research team believes that devices based on the two thin-film materials could operate at 25% efficiency with further refinements.
- US-Israeli team claims live cell imaging breakthrough
Researchers at Bar-Ilan University and UCLA combine computational imaging algorithm with super-resolution microscopy.
- Prism Awards: application deadline is October 7
Submissions to high-profile industry event for innovation in optics and photonics being accepted across 13 different categories.
- Leica and Huawei set up optical systems lab
‘Max Berek Innovation’ research center will work on new optical systems, computational imaging, virtual reality and augmented reality.
- Jenoptik’s Michael Mertin to quit in June 2017
After 10 years’ of “transformation and growth”, he will focus on new challenges beyond the German optics giant.
- Rockley Photonics’ Rickman reveals plan for faster data centers
“Scaling cloud data centers with packet switching” keynote at Southampton Hub’s industry day throws light on next-gen switching.
- ECOC 2016 reflects market impacts of new photonic technologies
Düsseldorf event showcases latest developments in optical communications – from silicon to software.
- European Investment Bank loan underpins €80M Heliatek expansion
Organic photovoltaics pioneer to ramp production capacity for construction market as combination of equity and debt finance completes series D round.
- Southampton University showcases Future Photonics Hub
The Future Photonics Hub’s inaugural “industry day” hailed a success by 150 delegates and exhibitors.
- Twente team to build new imager for breast cancer diagnosis
Combination of photoacoustic and ultrasound imagery should provide faster route to accurate diagnosis and reduce rate of ‘false positives’.
- UV lidar satellite Aeolus finally nearing readiness
After a decade battling problems with high-power lasers and UV coatings, the wind monitoring mission should finally launch in November 2017.
- Quantel back in the black; signs up new UK distributor
France-headquartered laser company benefits from military supply contracts and Laser MegaJoule project.
- Inpho 2016 investor event to reach beyond photonics
Bordeaux biennial conference embraces wider range of technologies to extend investment potential.
- Pyreos raises £1.8M as London angels invest
Venture funding to aid latest expansion at the Edinburgh-based developer of passive infrared sensors.
- Abbott selling Medical Optics business for $4.3BN
Femtosecond laser cataract surgery systems part of vision care division being sold to Johnson & Johnson.
- Thales signs deal on optically connected satellites
‘Phase B’ contract agreement with LeoSat follows recent acquisition of optoelectronics expertise by Thales Alenia Space.