- CNRS improves resolution of retinal implants
French team makes systematic comparison of natural and prosthetic activation of visual cortex in rats.
- UK conference to show how business can capitalize on photonics
Southampton's Future Photonics Hub to present wisdom of Payne, Rickman and Reed in free event on September 13th.
- Fraunhofer project tests cell compatibility of OLEDs
Studying how OLEDs are tolerated by organic cells could benefit light therapy and medical applications.
- Jenoptik and Raylase offer ultra-short pulse laser applications in China
Installing a JenLas femto 16 source in Raylase Laser Technology’s lab offers new opportunities in the country.
- Toptica strengthens presence in Japan
Diode and fiber laser developer opens Toptica K.K. office in Fuchu/Tokyo.
- Ornithodolite reveals that birds fly faster in large flocks
Laser-telescope system measures speed of diverse bird groupings.
- Next-generation adaptive optics set to assist exoplanet hunt
New actuator concept from Fraunhofer IOF could allow the E-ELT to see more clearly.
- Luminaires outshine lamps in 2015 global lighting market – analyst
As unit prices for LED lamps fall, revenue will also decline from 2019, says IHS Markit. Also: Nichea leading LED sector sales.
- Quanergy cashes in on auto lidar frenzy
Delphi and Samsung among the investors taking part in $90M venture round, a week after rival lidar developer Velodyne raised $150M.
- Concept Laser reports 88% sales growth for the first half of 2016
Market pull, diverse range of products and innovation boost 3D laser printing company’s performance.
- NASA mission to map asteroid using lidar and spectrometers
'OSIRIS-REx' craft featuring lidar, optical spectroscopy and near-IR imaging kit will also return sample to Earth for analysis.
- ColorChip raises further $20m venture capital
Investment to support its "System on Glass" transceivers destined for the booming data center market.
- Intel rolls out silicon photonics for data centers
Microsoft’s 'Azure' cloud business among first customers as technology platform is commercialized after 16 years in development.
- Velodyne agrees $150M investment deal to scale auto lidar
Huge financing from Ford and Chinese search engine giant Baidu will accelerate mass production of lidar sensors for autonomous vehicles.
- Gaia set for first data release after optics fixes
Problems with stray light and iced-up optics in two years since galaxy-mapping satellite began its survey.
- Metamaterial superlens surpasses existing near-field imaging techniques
Bangor University develops high-index all-dielectric lens able to work with visible light.
- UV-LED maker Nikkiso buys AquiSense in $9.3M deal
US-based AquiSense, which specializes in UV disinfection modules, becomes subsidiary of large Japanese industrial firm.
- Arizona collaborators set up new industry committee
Goal is to ‘catalyze, convene and connect’ the optics industry sector across Arizona.
- DARPA project seeks ‘new era’ in optics for defense
US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) looks to break conventions in optical design with ‘EXTREME’ program.
- Multi-view method boosts fluorescence microscopy resolution
Technique from NIBIB captures previously neglected light in wide-field and light-sheet operation.