Optics.org News and Analysis
- BB Photonics locates in UK with $1m investment plan
US photonics receiver developer establishes operation in Torbay, UK, aiming to launch 100G and 400G products in 2016.
- Researchers to test new optical fiber 3D printing technique
Scientists at Zepler Institute say method will enable "previously impossible" fiber structures and applications.
- FTTx optics sales to exceed $1bn in 2015
Market analyst Ovum forecasts that this year will be biggest yet for FTTx component sales.
- European Commission signs up with China on remote sensing
Collaborative research deal emerges during wider EU-China summit held in Brussels.
- Fraunhofer and CEA forge closer collaboration on multi-junction solar
'Virtual lab' to specialize in development of ultra-high-efficiency photovoltaic devices for both CPV and consumer use.
- Laser 2015: power diodes, VCSELs pursue older laser roles
New powerful sources are now taking on the roles and markets of older solid state lasers, such as cutting, welding and materials processing.
- Ball ships laser stabilization units to NASA
Follow-up to gravity recovery and climate experiment (GRACE) mission to make high-precision measurements of glaciers and oceans.
- Six Catalan technical research centers join forces
New Barcelona Institute of Science & Technology to pursue joint projects in photonics, nano, high-energy physics and biochemistry.
- Quantel targets genomics with fiber laser
French laser firm has also landed a €20M Laser Mégajoule supply contract.
- Sentinel satellite returns 'game-changing' multispectral imagery
Sofradir and e2v sensors helping to take remote land monitoring to unprecedented levels, says the European Space Agency.
- Cree stock drops to three-year low as LED prices slump
LED and lighting firm set to invest in itself with another major share buy-back plan.
- Laser 2015: activated phosphors power super-bright headlamps
Panel discussion on high power diode lasers includes update on Osram's LARP technology and application to new BMW lamps.
- Laser 2015: Audi speeds aluminum welding with remote laser
Auto maker and Trumpf detail range of new processes making vehicles lighter and more efficient.
- Laser 2015: terahertz technologies – a growing market
An imaging forum reviewed the remarkable progress of terahertz systems, fast developing a new marketplace.
- Laser 2015: efficiencies on the up as fiber laser competition grows
IPG's 6kW laser hits 48% efficiency as the firm introduces ‘trifocal’ beam concept to stay ahead of its challengers.
- Laser 2015: Swiss pair claim start-up awards
Startup World presents first photonic innovation and 3D printing awards to two Swiss firms: Nanolive and Femtoprint.
- Laser 2015: forum reviews progress of laser 3D printing
Whether selective laser melting or laser metal deposition, the technique is rapidly finding new applications and markets.
- Laser 2015: VDMA warns on Asian investment policy
German engineering association report finds that government support for photonics across Korea, China and Japan will double in five years.
- Laser 2015: forum turns spotlight on growing sepsis threat
Faster diagnostic systems based on colorimetry, fluorescence and Raman techniques are in development for clinical use.
- Laser 2015: IYL at six months is 'catalyst'
International Year of Light steering committee chairman John Dudley is pleased and surprised with successes; but more still to do.