- DCS 2018: Lockheed Martin develops dual-band IR camera core
Defense giant’s Santa Barbara facility claims “industry’s first” mid- and short-wave IR camera in footprint of single-band sensor.
- TESS mission begins exoplanet hunt
Launch of Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) will compile rapid survey of almost the entire sky, yielding a list of new 'worlds' for detailed follow-up.
- DCS 2018: Hyperspectral imaging offers early diagnosis of plant diseases
HSI developer HinaLea reports success in maximising agricultural yields with handheld camera.
- $12.2M funding round sees new CEO take charge at KMLabs
Former Zeiss executive Kevin Fahey takes the helm at the Colorado developer of cutting-edge ultrafast laser equipment.
- ASML reveals next-gen EUV orders
Lithography equipment giant receives first orders for EUV systems based around high numerical aperture optics.
- DCS 2018: Laser weapon ramp ‘inevitable and imperative’
Directed energy weapons are ideal for the military but more development and investment is needed, says Trey Obering in a defense plenary in Orlando.
- DCS 2018: Military photonics review and forecasts
US Air Force Research Lab foresees greater weapons precison and sensors integrating personnel into military systems.
- nLight filing suggests $70M IPO
Updated registration statement from US-based fiber laser company prices stock at $13-15.
- Active intraocular lens could offer real-time autofocus to patients
Swiss Advanced Vision aims to restore a more natural focusing function after ophthalmic surgery.
- Pan-European team wins €5M to demo practical perovskite solar modules
Developers at EPFL, imec, Fraunhofer ISE and Saule Technologies collaborate on 'ambitious' tech transfer project.
- Biolase CEO Harold Flynn resigns
Dental laser company 'exploring strategic alternatives' as CFO takes over on interim basis.
- Luminar acquires chip design firm amid lidar production ramp
Deal to buy Black Forest Engineering brings another 30 engineers in-house, as initial shipments of new sensors begin.
- Inkjet process can print flexible touchscreens
Addressing growing printable, wearable markets, INM Leibniz Institute to show at Hannover Messe how flexible displays will become reality.
- Michigan engineers develop solar-powered imaging sensor
Simultaneous imaging and energy harvesting achieved in new design of "self-powering" CMOS image sensor pixels.
- ALPhANOV develops compact 780nm picosecond laser
Compact laser prototype has been developed by French research group for a medical diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- NIST team shrinks photonic chip for precision spectroscopy
Integrated fiber-optic spectrometer could be basis for ultra-compact quantum sensors based around atomic vapors.
- Breakthrough bolometer keeps pace with high-speed cameras
ULIS expecting faster thermal sensors will boost demand for for machine vision apps; on show at DCS next week.
- Velodyne hails 'lifesaving' potential of lidar-equipped forklifts
Photonic sensors tipped to improve safety record in sector responsible for tens of thousands of serious injuries each year.
- Confocal laser endomicroscopy reveals newly recognized human organ
Mauna Kea platform shows anatomical structures that may be important in cancer metastasis.
- Camera inspired by butterfly eye boosts image-led cancer surgery
University of Michigan UC develops "compact and affordable" camera to help surgeons visualize cancer cells under theater conditions.