- Zeiss Meditec hits growth target
Photonics-based medical technology company’s annual revenues top €900 million.
- Limits of 3D optical microscopy extended
Novel approach to biological imaging developed by Vienna-based consortium; suited to sensitive and dynamic samples.
- Ultrafast laser team wins German Future Prize
Bosch, Trumpf and the University of Jena representatives share 2013 award presented by German federal president.
- Private equity group buys CMOSIS
Belgium-based fabless developer of CMOS image sensors set to sold to equity giant TA Associates.
- Omnivision sees competition intensify
Developer of image sensors remains subject to volatile end market demand.
- 'Turning point' for laser uranium enrichment
US Department of Energy and Global Laser Enrichment begin negotiating over Kentucky stockpile.
- Analyst: solar electricity competitive with natural gas by 2025
Lux Research expects hybrid gas/solar technologies to mitigate intermittency of the renewable resource.
- Sell-out conference reflects dramatic progress in silicon photonics
Double expected attendance at UK silicon photonics event updated on progress, products and problem-solving.
- Andor rebuffs 'disappointing' Oxford takeover bid
Board of imaging firm recommends increased dividend while it seeks a higher offer.
- Sponsored: ten truths about smart cameras
Need help deciding which camera to use for machine vision? Matrox Imaging has the answers.
- Gooch & Housego expands again with Constelex deal
Acquisition of Greek developer of photonic systems strengthens space and satellite communications activity.
- Universal Display hooks up with Philips for OLED lighting
Collaboration with German subsidiary to evaluate phosphorescent OLEDs for solid-state lighting.
- Bioaxial wins €1.9M funding for fluorescence microscopy
French start-up to market super-resolved imaging instruments for life sciences sector in 2014.
- Stuttgart opens laser-Doppler vibrometry center
Aims to adapt engineering tests to biomechanics applications for medical benefits.
- NKT lasers and e2v detectors launched in 'Swarm' constellation
Three-satellite mission to monitor Earth’s magnetic field over the next four years.
- Prism Awards 2014: the finalists
A vein viewing system, a MEMS spectrometer and a terahertz scanner feature among the shortlisted entries.
- Fabtech finds vendors optimistic and fiber lasers proliferating
Systems from Amada, Trumpf and others promise further growth for laser-based materials processing.
- Pixium raises €15M for retinal implant development
Sofinnova Partners becomes largest investor in French start-up working on systems to restore sight to the blind.
- UK backs photonics with postgrad training centers
Scheme will train students in photovoltaics, integrated photonics, metamaterials, additive manufacturing and graphene applications.
- UK solar cell maker G24i restarts production
G24i resumes production, research and development of photosynthesis-inspired cells in new premises in South Wales.