- Poisoned chalice: why Apple-GTAT went sour
Declaration to bankruptcy court by GTAT's chief operating officer shows just how one-sided the doomed sapphire supply deal was.
- 'Record' 255Tbit/s data transmission over seven-core fiber
Eindhoven-led team develop new fiber that allows 21 times more bandwidth than is currently available.
- Israeli academic, nuclear partners to found photonics R&D center
Ben Gurion University and Soreq Nuclear Research Center establishing photonics and electro-optics facility with NIS175m (€37m) funding.
- Newport lands $26M ultrafast laser deal
Sources for surgical applications set to ship over the next two years as CEO hails 'excellent momentum'.
- Subwavelength optical fibers diffuse light for sensing
Novel optical effect observed promising new hyper-sensitive devices.
- Heliatek installs largest PV-generating façade
Dresden-based solar film developer completes installation at headquarters – to power lighting system.
- Seagate invests in laser-assisted storage
£35 million boost for Northern Ireland facility aided by European regional development funding.
- IPG sees laser cutting migrate to higher powers
Demonstration of 12 kW fiber cutter based on IPG laser expected at next month’s Fabtech trade show.
- Cynosure up sharply on aesthetics boom
Stock price of the aesthetic laser firm jumps 10% following news of solid revenue growth.
- Thorlabs expands QCL offering with Corning deal
Acquisition of the glass giant's optoelectronics research group includes strategic partnership with Daylight.
- IMAX to start laser projector roll-out
After watching the forthcoming , CEO hails technological development as ‘truly spectacular’.
- Aquitaine start-up to make fiber lasers
Technology transfer deal with ALPhANOV center will allow MuQuans to make 780nm sources for its own atom-cooling instruments.
- Soitec signs 150MW concentrated PV deal
France-based developer expecting to deploy more than 80,000 concentrated solar modules in California.
- Osram develops brighter LED for car headlights
Output of 1400 lm and 200 Mcd/m 2 achieved in the laboratory.
- GT Advanced re-focuses on equipment
Deal with Apple sees company exit sapphire manufacturing and return to selling crystal-growing kit.
- Diverse investors gear up for photonics sector growth
IIP 2014 conference reports industry cash replacing VC investment in photonics; new business ideas rewarded.
- Proposals meeting scheduled for US photonics 'hub'
November proposers' meeting in Arlington and NPI webinar to disseminate latest information.
- Fraunhofer showcases new camera systems
New banknote checker and remote, high-resolution,"eye-like" camera will be visible at Vision.
- Cree slips again on weak guidance
Stock price slides further as the LED lighting firm's outlook disappoints Wall Street.
- German R&D body launches optical networking unit
Among nine new key research projects winning total of €16m funding.