- Cooke Optics acquired in ‘welcome’ purchase by Caledonia Investments
$127 million investment to enable faster growth and new lenses; management team remains unchanged.
- Farnborough Air Show: photonics round-up
Maxar acquires Neptec Design Group; Teledyne e2v develops sensor for small satellites; Emcore launches compact new gyro.
- Bruker extends microscopy offering with JPK acquisition
Optical tweezers and fluorescence imaging techniques augment instrumentation firm’s burgeoning portfolio.
- Nice airport to install Doppler lidar
Mitsubishi Electric wins contract to provide one of France’s busiest airports with system for monitoring wind shear.
- Photovoltaic Technology Evaluation Center reopens in Freiburg
Following last year's devastating fire, Fraunhofer ISE's R&D center is reborn and pushing for resumption of European solar cell manufacture.
- Jenoptik buys Prodomax Automation…
…and ups its 2018 guidance. Canadian firm works in machine and process integration in auto industry.
- Excelitas Technologies lands Research Electro Optics
Acquisitive Excelitas once again expands portfolio and global footprint as a single-source provider for commercial and defense markets.
- NIF smashes energy record with 2.15 MJ pulse
Lawrence Livermore laser team beats previous best of 1.9 MJ, set more than six years ago.
- Schott acquires Primoceler, laser glass-bonding specialist
Finnish company's unique laser-based bonding technique promises better packaging for MEMs to medical devices.
- imec team shows path to ultra-compact transceivers
Hybrid integration of FinFET logic and silicon photonics modulator creates tiny, ultra-low-power devices for high-speed optical interconnects.
- All-optical ultrasound generates video-rate images of tissues
UCL system shortens acquisition time to assist image-guided surgeries.
- Ultrafast laser pioneer Corkum wins IOP's Isaac Newton medal
Tipped for a future Nobel prize, the University of Ottawa professor has landed the Institute of Physics' highest accolade.
- II-VI to boost its pump laser output
Manufacturing facilities worldwide set for investment and expansion to meet demand for data centers, comms applications.
- ams laser array appears on Android platform
VCSEL-based face recognition technology from the Austrian sensor maker features in a new Xiaomi smart phone.
- Photonics roadshow heads to Barcelona
Latest series of events intended to help overcome market barriers for photonics SMEs in life sciences, food and agriculture.
- Quantum legislation launched by US Government’s House Science Committee
Details technical objectives and investment totalling $650 million over next five years; program welcomed by SPIE.
- Fiber-optic telecoms cables detect earthquakes
German Research Center for Geosciences reports on how existing data cables can pick up seismic signals.
- Double Helix Optics wins $1M investment in Luminate competition
Startup offering computational optics for super-resolution imaging set to establish operations in Rochester.
- Medilight develops light system to heal wounds
European project makes bandage that bathes wound in blue light to speed recovery.
- Raytheon designing 100 kW class laser for US Army
New weapon system intended to counter rocket, artillery and mortar attacks with in-flight destruction.