- Laser guide star switched on at VLT
Giant telescope in Chile installs the first of four yellow-orange sources that will sharpen up astronomical imagery.
- BAE Systems develops laser-based military countermeasures
The $11m “Technology Development Bridge Program” was awarded by US Army; BAE also developing "augmented reality" system for military.
- Optical coherence tomography 'reducing heart attacks'
Imaging technique appears to improve outcomes for cardiac patients being fitted with coronary stents, finds large-scale trial.
- Laser World of Photonics to host new 'power' events
Munich focusing on automotive, high-power processing, 3D printing plus outputs from EU's "Halo" project.
- Cree to zero in on lighting
US company confirms plan for a partial spin-off of its power and RF chip business.
- Optical comms market set for 100G surge in 2016
Data center optics market to respond to content providers' switch from 40G to 100G, says IHS.
- Multi-fiber temperature sensor measures 10,000 points/sec
Proximion’s rugged FBG-based sensor provides reliable results up to 600°C.
- Court denies Philips re-trial in $467M patent case
Judge upholds jury decision and level of damages in long-running battle with Masimo over pulse oximeter technology.
- Optics sales take a dip at Jenoptik ahead of restructure
Cyclical slump in semiconductor industry demand blamed for year-on-year decline.
- New products help Lumenis swing to profit
Medical laser firm reports solid uptick in sales despite negative currency effects.
- OIF launches new integrated photonics projects
International telecoms group working on higher rate, more sophisticated system operating specifications.
- Voting opens for IYL photo award
GoPro camera and a prize of $500 to be won in SPIE's 'People's Choice Award'.
- Quantum dots are ‘ready for prime time’ says analyst
Yole Développement says revenues “will exceed phosphors by 2020” as adoption into LCD TVs rivals OLED quality.
- De Beers buys into laser cutting with Synova equity deal
Diamond company acquires a 33% stake in the Swiss maker of water-guided laser materials processing equipment.
- IBM silicon photonics to speed up cloud and ‘big data’ rates
Big Blue announces "milestone" in integrated silicon optoelectronics at CLEO 2015 conference.
- Laser process refines fiber tips for medical apps
Applications in treatment of superfine varicose veins; demo next week at SENSOR + TEST 2015, Nuremberg.
- GSI outlines post-JK strategy
Focus shifts away from materials processing following sale of JK Lasers division to Trumpf.
- BOE to develop giant OLED line in Chengdu, China
Company aiming to establish the hi-tech city as a "global base for photonics display industry".
- Floating LIDAR wins European innovation award
EOLOS system for offshore wind applications is based on continuous-wave Zephir technology.
- Strong US dollar boosts Zeiss Meditec
Booming demand for intraolcular lenses and surgical microscopes as the Zeiss affiliate targets annual sales of up to €1 BN.