- UK-led team to build new VLT spectrograph
Instrument to use near-infrared spectroscopy and fiber-optics to create an intergalactic star map.
- Prism Awards deadline: October 10
International search for the best in commercial photonics innovation now includes additive manufacturing category.
- ECOC celebrates its 40th expo in Cannes
Hot topics for 2014 included: spatial division multiplexing, silicon photonic integrated circuits and novel synchronization.
- EU announces 155 winners of business development funding
Photonics-related projects account for 10% of firms benefiting from €3bn investment project.
- Philips to hive off lighting unit
Decision to split company follows widespread cost-cutting and planned sell-off of combined LED/automotive lighting business.
- Flexible, inorganic LEDs and solar cells grown on graphene
Optical and mechanical properties superior to organic-based sources, say Korean developers.
- Laser marker dedicated to gunmaking
Specialized pulse configurations for deep material ablation creation of optimal edge quality.
- National Energetics and Ekspla to build Prague beamline
Consortium led by Texas firm wins $40M deal to construct 10 petawatt laser in Prague.
- Alfalight bags $3.7M missile laser contract
Novel ordnance system uses high-power diode source to initiate explosions.
- Smart glasses maker Vuzix completes Rochester expansion
Upgrade includes tooling for proprietary laser lithography processes.
- Sensors Unlimited opens SWIR development facility
90,000 square foot site to produce components and products for infrared imaging.
- Leica, Panasonic extend camera optics deal
New five-year agreement builds on long-standing collaboration between the two global brands.
- Societies welcome US manufacturing vote
House of Representatives passes bill designed to stimulate development and commercialization of new technologies.
- Element Six heat sinks to feature in ultrafast disk laser
European Commission project selects supplier for diamond components in pulsed source.
- EC names new heads for photonics and industry
Jean-Claude Juncker reveals Commission's top team for November kick-off; fresh legs for photonics and SMEs.
- Luceda Photonics wins €340,000 growth finance
Investment will drive development of its advanced software for photonic IC design.
- Private equity group buys Emcore PV unit
Emcore CEO Hong Hou to step down as company is left with loss-making fiber-optics division.
- Quantum dots adapted to glow more brightly
A thin layer of aluminum oxide layer makes quantum dots glow more brightly, promising diverse applications.
- CEA Leti collaborates on 'LiFi' transceivers
French government lab working with start-up on visible light communications technology.
- Advanced Photonix lands Navy contract
$1.6M deal to develop custom photodiode for US Navy’s guided missile system.