- Laser and chemical analysis could cut historic stone theft
Research project at Loughborough, UK, uses LIBS to identify heritage materials.
- Joe Biden hails 'extraordinary potential' of photonics
US Vice President talks waveguides and quotes Bragg amid the fanfare of New York's country-spanning photonics innovation plan.
- Optitec adapts to support photonics in south of France
Photonics cluster aims to be involved in entire value chain for companies across its region.
- 3D-printed aircraft launched from warship
University of Southampton engineers test fly and safely land “SULSA” – a laser-printed unmanned aircraft.
- Better LED margins boost Philips profit
Solid-state technology accounts for 40% of Philips' total lighting sales in latest quarter.
- Photonics helps cyclist win four Tour de France stages
Optical analysis streamlines André Greipel's bike and kit; German rider supported by German technology.
- OmniVision shareholders back buy-out
Acquisition of the imaging sensor firm by Chinese private equity group still subject to regulatory approval.
- Trumpf rides out 'difficult' market
Sales rise 5 per cent despite sale of German firm's medical business a year ago, suggest preliminary figures.
- New York wins $220M photonics foundry race
US Department of Defense chooses Rochester-led consortium partnered by MIT and the University of Arizona.
- First AMD patient receives retinal implant
Implant from developer Second Sight had previously only been used to aid patients suffering from .
- Gigapixel multispectral microscopy unravels complexity of cell biology
RMIT University platform could speed up image-based assays during drug development.
- Navigant is latest to predict cost-competitive solar PV by 2020
Analyst report mirrors recent comments by First Solar CEO and suggests that annual market for PV installations will exceed $150BN in less than a decade.
- LED firm Bridgelux sold to Chinese investor group
Californian lighting firm continues transition two years after selling its GaN-on-silicon chip technology to Toshiba.
- New $100M alien search will hunt for laser transmissions
Stephen Hawking among a host of eminent scientists launching most comprehensive search for extra-terrestrial life ever undertaken.
- Newport loses ground as sales stall
Stock sheds 10% of its value and drops to 12-month low.
- LUXeXceL tops up venture round
Flemish investment company PMV adds 3D printing expertise in €7.5 M series B funding.
- Moore's law hits a bump as Intel pushes back 10nm move
Current scaling challenges and questions over the maturity of extreme UV lithography shift Intel's metronome.
- JDSU splits into Lumentum and Viavi next month
Formal separation on August 1; offshoots Lumentum and Viavi to trade on NASDAQ; shareholder terms revealed.
- Pluto close-up stuns NASA science team
Custom sensors from e2v technologies on board the New Horizons probe help capture extraordinary views of the dwarf planet.
- Laser sensor could replace finger-prick diabetes test
Non-invasive device could end daily discomfort for people with diabetes; Leeds, UK, group aiming for market in 2-3 years.