- LG Display to start building huge OLED factory
Ultimate investment of nearly $10 billion anticipated; move likely to fuel more rumors of Apple iPhone adoption.
- Leica and NKT Photonics sign supercontinuum laser deal
Laser maker to supply optical device developer with source for specialized FLIM and super resolution imaging and more.
- Optical chip maker ColorChip raises $25m for growth
Developer of “SystemOnGlass” transceivers, receives funding lead by IGP. Vintage, Gemini Israel Funds, and BRM Group also investing.
- IYL to close with film festival in Mexico
Official closing ceremony of year-long celebration of light takes place in Mérida in early February.
- Formnext expo sees 3D laser printing innovations
Concept Laser and EOS present new approaches and tools at last week’s Frankfurt show and conference.
- New display techs 'worth $21BN by 2020'
OLEDs to dominate in smart phones but quantum-dot LCDs to grow fastest thanks to TV adoption, say Lux Research analysts.
- UK government backs photonics commercialization hub
EPSRC allocates £10 million in central funding for ‘national hub in high-value photonic manufacturing’ in Southampton.
- Mobile app simulates laser processing for first time
Fraunhofer ILT cuts process complexity and makes industrial methods available on mobile phones and tablets.
- Low-temperature process promises better perovskite solar cells
Swiss team develops way to produce hysteresis-free tandem and bifacial cells at just 50°C.
- Private equity owner sells CMOSIS for €220M
TA Associates sells maker of CMOS imaging technology to the Austrian sensor company ams.
- Hamamatsu Photonics reports 8% sales boost for 2015
But “international market uncertainties” still give Japanese giant cause for concern.
- Leti groups report three 'mature' silicon photonics platforms
PLAT4M project focused on “speeding industrialization” of this technology.
- Wide-area Li-Fi network generating interest
Lecture and TED talk detail how Scotland-developed solar-powered wireless communication could benefit millions.
- James Webb telescope takes shape
18-segment primary mirror section now being added to the giant space instrument scheduled for 2018 launch.
- Hamilton Thorne posts profit, raises warrant cash
Toronto-listed firm makes specialist laser and microscopy equipment for stem cell and reproductive biology research.
- Rapid laser heating simulates fusion processes
An Imperial College research project uses lasers to make materials hotter than the center of the Sun, faster than ever before.
- Osram targets tech in five-year plan
Investors appear jittery as the lighting giant reveals plans to build a new Malaysian LED fab and accelerate laser headlamp and organic LED development.
- Femtosecond laser cataract firm Lensar in $59M switch
'Lifestyle healthcare' company Alphaeon set to acquire Orlando firm that has pioneered ultrafast laser techniques but struggled to make money.
- UV-cured patch mends holes in the heart
New design of catheter and customized adhesive points towards less invasive methods of tissue repair.
- Rofin disappoints with weak outlook
Stock price slips 8% despite a sharp rise in fiber laser unit sales and stronger full-year profits.