NASA Ames Research Center – News and Features
- Four NASA-Sponsored Experiments Set to Launch on Virgin Galactic Spacecraft
A winged spacecraft will soon take off with four NASA-supported technology experiments onboard. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo will separate from the WhiteKnightTwo twin-fuselage carrier aircraft and …
- 40 Years Ago, Pioneers Encounter Venus
40 Years Ago, Pioneers Encounter Venus
- Go Behind the Scenes of SOFIA, the World’s Largest Flying Telescope
Go Behind the Scenes of SOFIA, the World’s Largest Flying Telescope
- NASA Collaborates with JAXA to use Drones for Disaster Recovery Drill
NASA Collaborates with JAXA to use Drones for Disaster Recovery Drill
- Kepler’s Supernova Experiment Captures First Moments of a Dying Star
In a galaxy far away, an old star exploded and became a supernova. About 170 million years later on Feb. 4, 2018, the light emanating from the explosion was received by an arsenal of high-powered tele …
- What is NASA’s Aerobiology Lab?
Scientists in the Aerobiology Lab at NASA’s Ames Research Center are developing methods to test how and how well different types of microbes survive in the extreme conditions of the atmosphere.
- Kepler Space Telescope Bid ‘Goodnight’ With Final Set of Commands
On Thursday evening, NASA’s Kepler space telescope received its final set of commands to disconnect communications with Earth. The “goodnight” commands finalize the spacecraft’s transition into retire …
- Toward Urban Air Mobility: Air Taxis with Side-By-Side Rotors
Visualization of NASA’s side-by-side rotorcraft concept for UAM in forward flight. This back view shows the complex 3D vortex wake from the intermeshing rotors. Note the rolling of the vortex wake at …
- 50 Years Ago, Pioneer 9 Launched to Aid Apollo Astronauts
The fourth in the Pioneer series, Pioneer 9, launched Nov. 8, 1968, on a Delta E rocket from Cape Kennedy, Florida, and entered a solar orbit with a mean radius just slightly inside Earth’s, making a …
- Cosmic Collisions: SOFIA Unravels the Mysterious Formation of Star Clusters
SOFIA provides new evidence that star clusters form through collisions between giant molecular clouds.