Optics.org News and Analysis
- Zeiss expands its super-resolution microscope range
Lattice SIM product family operates across all scales and applications.
- Italian-led group creates photonic source for best beamshape for wireless networks
Milan, Glasgow, and Stanford university partners design chips to optimize light profile “for any environment.”
- Baraja begins sampling novel lidar components
Startup makes available chips needed to build ‘random modulation continuous-wave’ sensors for automotive applications.
- MIT observes multiple fluorescence signals from the same living cell
Temporal multiplex method tracks different emitters to image cellular responses.
- Sony Semi launches 5.3MP SWIR image sensor for industry…
…and ams Osram launches RGB versions of high-power Ostar compact LEDs.
- Northern Arizona University monitors biodiversity in US with space lidar
NASA’s ISS-borne GEDI laser mapping 3D structure of forests to determine biodiversity.
- nLight wins another laser weapon contract
US provider of high-energy sources selected for $34.5M project to integrate 50kW laser on combat vehicle.
- Texas compact accelerator achieves ‘major energy milestone’
University of Texas, Tau Systems, and partners demo compact particle accelerator yielding 10 GeV e-beam.
- Israeli company Prisma Photonics establishes US Office in Austin, Texas
Growing startup utilizes fiber-optic technology to monitor power utility and line infrastructure.
- ETH Zurich fiber-optic network aids earthquake detection
Monitoring phase noise improves assessment of ground deformations.
- SpeQtral extends quantum cryptography deal with Toshiba
Collaboration on quantum key distribution strengthened after SpeQtral's selection for nationwide project in Singapore.
- Heliatek and Triflex offer system for solar power and roof renovation
Newly announced partnership combines solar film maker with water-proofing firm.
- NIF achieves record laser energy
2.2MJ were delivered and 3.4MJ yielded in latest ignition experiment, at the end of October.
- Nichia starting in-house production of high-power red laser diodes
New sources available from spring 2024 will complement its established production of blue and green LDs.
- RoboSense claims acceleration in automotive lidar sales
Vendor says it sold 60,000 units in the September quarter – more than double the total for the first half of the year.
- UC Berkeley, NKT Photonics, Thorlabs platform sees details of neural activity
Two-photon holographic mesoscope will boost understanding of distributed brain networks.
- AI enables new route to improving perovskite solar cells
Researchers from Karlsruhe, Helmholtz Imaging, and Cancer Research Center, Germany, use AI to optimize perovskite layers.
- Multimode optical fiber can boost fiber laser power by up to nine times
Australian-US team says wavefront-shaping of input light lifts power threshold for SBS scattering by an order of magnitude.
- Infinera lands $14M CHIPS Act grant
Manufacturer of photonic integrated circuits gets help expanding its Silicon Valley sites.
- ICFO and Vitala Technologies collaborate on metabolic imaging
Technique could yield new information about cancer and cardiovascular disease.