- LiDAR with MEMs beamsteering launched for autonomous vehicles
Draper’s technology enables self-driving cars to perceive surroundings at greater distances.
- Ultra-mini microendoscope produces higher-quality images
Johns Hopkins lensless scope is just a few hundred nanometers across yet can capture images of live neuron activity.
- ams urges more Osram shareholders to support takeover offer
Deal has passed key 55% acceptance threshold, but crucial vote and regulatory hurdles still to be overcome.
- Bruker light-sheet microscopy platform offers 3D imaging of cells
TruLive3D Imager from Luxendo subsidiary allows analysis of organoids in natural environments.
- Carl Zeiss Meditec bucks the trend with record sales
Revenues jump 14% at the optics giant's medical technology subsidiary.
- ESO signs contract for M5 ELT mirror support cell
ENER Aerospacial to make component with fast tip-tilt mechanism for image stabilization.
- SPIE and Photonics Media reveal 2020 Prism Award finalists
The best of photonics innovation will be recognized on 5 February at SPIE Photonics West grand finale.
- Laser atom cooler and hyperspectral kit arrive in orbit
Photonics-enabled science payloads complete journey to International Space Station.
- LIDAR based on diode-pumped alexandrite to monitor upper atmosphere
Leibniz-Institute of Atmospheric Physics and Fraunhofer ILT have developed portable, lower-energy demand system.
- VTT produces optical fiber made from cellulose
Optical cellulose fiber could enable detecting changes in moisture level of buildings.
- Plessey develops native Red InGaN LEDs on silicon
New approach to microLED is attractive because it offers lower manufacturing costs and scalability to larger wafers.
- UbiQD wins NASA follow-up for hydroponics in space
Los Alamos spin-out tailoring solar spectrum with quantum dots to grow crops in orbit.
- Laser implosion milestone closes the gap on fusion developments
University of Rochester led group says its latest laser-plasma achievement addresses significant gap in fusion research.
- Electro-optical device provides solution to faster computing
Developed by Advanced Nanoscale Engineering research group at the University of Oxford.
- U.S. Army selects Kollsman for laser-based sensor prototype
Elbit Systems subsidiary's approach consists of laser marker designator, target locator and azimuth and vertical angle module.
- Diffuse reflectance spectroscopy examines tumors after treatment
Netherlands Cancer Institute study suggests neoadjuvant chemotherapy does not interfere with spectral imaging.
- Quantum dot lasers move a step closer with electric-pumping
NTU Singapore develops way to make Colloidal Q-Dots produce laser light with an electric field.
- German research group hints at entire 3D printed laser systems
LZH and partners report on GROTESK projects – the future of optical manufacturing – including automated 3D-printed laser manufacturing.
- Ra Medical losses widen as co-founders depart
Californian developer of medical excimer laser systems posts $17M quarterly loss; now being investigated by multiple US government authorities.
- Optics and electronics developers cooperate to promote recycling
Project in Finland aiming to create recyclable, compostable components using renewables.