- 2022 SPIE Yaver Scholarship awarded to Oleksandra Ivashchenko
$10,000 scholarship for clinical medical physicist at the Leiden University Medical Center.
- Support for photonic component development in latest UK quantum projects
£6 million program to commercialize quantum technologies backs quantum PICs, lasers, SPADs, and entangled light sources.
- Optical sensor could provide early warning of bridge collapses
Prototype device based on fiber Bragg gratings to be tested this summer by Queen’s University Belfast researchers.
- IQE and Lumentum strike epiwafer deal
Multi-year agreement extends existing relationship to supply epiwafers, with particular emphasis on automotive lidar.
- HKUST images mouse cortex at 'unprecedented depth'
Combination of three-photon microscopy and adaptive optics reveals details of the brain.
- Nanofluidic scattering microscopy offers new view of molecular behavior
Chalmers University label-free technique uses diffusion within nanofluidic channel.
- ams Osram sharpens focus further, with deal to sell 'digital systems' unit
Agreement with China’s Inventronics follows recent disposals of horticultural and dynamic lighting businesses.
- Scintil targets optical interconnects with latest funding round
French startup has raised €13.5M in its second round of venture support.
- Perovskite development heralds quantum breakthrough
Photonic device from Nebraska and California team will help to discover minimum of “key formulations” at room temperature.
- CREOL researchers create high-rate, 40-channel optical link
Silicon-based device can transmit about 400 GB of data per second; to meet growing need to move content faster.
- LASYS 2022: LZH presents laser material processing innovations to users
LZH scientists are also investigating the influence of gravity on laser beam welding processes designed for space applications.
- QuiX creates ‘largest’ quantum photonic processor to work with quantum dots…
…as Quantinuum upgrades its Model H1 quantum-computer – expanding to 20 connected qubits.
- BlueHalo wins $11M US AFRL contract for laser communications technologies
For a pair of flight terminals and ground station to demonstrate in-orbit processing of satellite operations for AFRL
- Fraunhofer CAP celebrates 10 years of applied photonics R&D in the UK
To mark the occasion, CAP hosted a reception at the Royal Society in London on June 14.
- KAUST platform images plant growth and development
Better monitoring of plant phenotypes and what happens underground will assist cultivation.
- Elbit unveils COPAS-L for military surveillance and target acquisition…
…while Teledyne Flir Defense also launches Kobra 725 military robot at this week’s Eurosatory defense expo.
- KIT develops perovskite/CIS tandem solar cells with efficiency near 25%
Thin-film photovoltaics are efficient and versatile in a “double pack”; combination promises mobile applications.
- Which UV wavelengths best disinfect Covid-19?
US labs NIST and DHS conduct thorough tests to show how different wavelengths interact with virus.
- Attosecond spectroscopy gives new view of non-linear optics
Max Born Institute and partners use attosecond-pump attosecond-probe method to study behavior.
- Metalenz meta-optics arrive in time-of-flight sensor
Market debut of commercialized technology comes through partnership with STMicroelectronics.