- EUV lithography enablers land German Future Prize
Zeiss, Trumpf, and Fraunhofer developers recognized for key elements that make up ASML’s game-changing systems.
- Honeywell temperature monitors deployed at JFK Airport to screen tavelers
ThermoRebellion uses thermal imaging and AI to spot elevated skin temperatures, such as caused by Covid-19 infection.
- MIT sees details of cellular network activity
Deliberate clustering of fluorophores allows simultaneous study of multiple locations.
- Laser-cooled atoms to measure ‘atmospheric drag’
Quantum accelerometers for tiny satellites move to the next stage of development with UK funding.
- Austria-US team develops QCL-based mid-infrared laser to detect specific molecules
TU Vienna and Harvard's technology does not require large setup and can easily be miniaturized.
- Multipass spectroscopy promises improved detection of cancer markers in breath
University of Warsaw project points towards clinical platforms for early cancer diagnosis.
- LLNL's 3D-printed glass approach enhances optical design flexibility
Multi-material 3D printing creates tailored gradient RI optics that promise better military eyewear and VR goggles.
- Startup Porotech debuts native red LED epiwafer for micro-LEDs
University of Cambridge spin-out claims “first” such wafer based on gallium nitride production method.
- Optical systems design wins boost Jenoptik order book
Biophotonics applications including robotic surgery and point-of-care Covid-19 tests expected to add €9 million to annual sales.
- Mobileye selects Luminar lidar for autonomous vehicle pilot
Collaboration on ‘level 4’ robo-taxi service programs in Europe, Middle East, and Asia.
- M-Squared refinances with state support
New Scottish National Investment Bank acquires an interest in the laser firm.
- Additive manufacturing with adaptive optics makes precision parts
Combination with digital light processor engine said to enable cost-effective production.
- Covid-19 update: 19 November 2020
A round-up of this week's coronavirus-related news and countermeasures from the photonics industry.
- SPIE announces partnership with global open-knowledge platform The Lens
The Lens’s open data to be fully integrated into SPIE’s Digital Library platform.
- Moth-eye nanostructures offer improved anti-reflective coatings
Tokyo University of Science produces bio-inspired surfaces on resin films.
- ORC researchers develop all-silicon optical transmitter at 100G
Without needing digital signal processing, new modulator can double maximum data rate of state-of-the-art devices.
- Formnext 2020: Trumpf presents new solutions for 3D metal printing industry
New nozzle doubles process speed in LMD; depowdering boosts automation in laser metal fusion.
- UK team shows how to build single-molecule laser microscope
Central Laser Facility work provides build instructions for cost-effective Förster Resonance Energy Transfer imaging.
- Hitachi snaps up Valencia spin-out VLC for integrated photonics expertise
VLC Photonics offers fabless development services for PICs across numerous sectors, including telecom, lidar, and sensing.
- Brillouin spectroscopy offers route to probing cell dynamics
University of Exeter measures properties of biopolymers as models of biological tissues.