- EPFL develops high-precision laser 3D printing method
Fine-featured tiny products formed in seconds; sin-off company Readily3D established to develop and market new system.
- Yole senses rapid market growth as time-of-flight devices proliferate
French analyst company predicts boom as ToF modules are adopted in rear-facing smart phone applications.
- Cognex wary with key markets in transition
Machine vision firm says demand remains subdued ahead of migrations to 5G connectivity and electric vehicles.
- Fluorescence lifetime technique offers real-time imaging of tumor margins
University of California, Davis combines imaging and machine learning to accelerate diagnosis.
- Novel 3D scanner gathers evidence at a crime scene
So-called "3DF scanner" from Fraunhofer IOF can collect forensic evidence optically and non-destructively in seconds.
- Jenoptik says it remained on growth path in 2019
“Past fiscal year was once again the best in the company’s history in terms of revenue and earnings” – CFO.
- LASER World of Photonics China postponed
Coronavirus concerns lead Messe München to delay February and March expos – including Vision China 2020 and co-located events.
- IPG cuts prices as coronavirus adds to China challenges
Fiber laser giant reports first quarterly net loss in a decade; estimates coronavirus impact at $45M.
- Atlas Copco makes $1.2 BN bid for MV firm Isra Vision
Atlas hoping to create "global leader in machine vision" with Isra at its center.
- Fraunhofer HHI introduces USB Li-Fi modules offering 1 Gbit/s
To be presented at Optical Fiber Communication Conference 2020 in San Diego, CA, from 8–12 March.
- PW2020: DARPA seeking close cooperation with photonics sector
Proposed military-grade quantum sensors will require at least four lasers to address various quantum states.
- Multi-beam additive manufacturing platform achieves "unmatched speed"
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology method achieves printing speeds of 10 million voxels per second.
- Koito invests $50M in lidar firm Cepton
Top-tier provider of car parts wants to develop headlamps with built-in lidar sensors.
- ORC's silicon photonics fab wins £1.5m for expansion
Zepler Institute, Nano-Silicon Photonics Group, and Glasgow university to extend Cornerstone facility.
- II-VI predicts $50M coronavirus hit
Photonics giant shifts some production to sites in Vietnam and Malaysia to mitigate impact to supply lines.
- Laser-etched nanostructures offer control of light absorption
University of Rochester project could lead to more efficient solar power generation.
- European group developing a 1kW dot matrix ultrafast laser
"MultigrAVE" project aiming to carve flow-optimised surfaces in metal surfaces, imitating shark skin.
- TeraView wins $6M funding from investors old and new
Cash from Wonik, Pathfinder H and Ingenious will "accelerate product and technology development in the terahertz market".
- Coherent optimistic on 5G and OLED prospects
Dip in quarterly sales and coronavirus uncertainty expected to be offset by longer term stability.
- Photonics West Show Daily Thursday February 6 edition
Access a free download of the Thursday edition of Show Daily from Photonics West 2020.