Optics.org News and Analysis
- Toptica Projects delivers first Guide Star laser to Extremely Large Telescope
Fulfilling a 2017 contract with European Southern Observatory for the ELT, which could use up to eight guide star lasers.
- Jenoptik wins $64M of automation and traffic orders in North America
Robotic manufacturing control and road safety system contracts in the US and Canada announced in first quarter of 2021.
- Silina launches curved CMOS sensors that can be made on industrial scale
Curved designs mean simpler optical systems – like eyes with single lens; claimed to be “next major innovation” in imaging.
- II-VI optimistic as Apple backs further VCSEL expansion and development
Up to $410M from iPhone maker’s ‘Advanced Manufacturing Fund’ to boost production capacity and performance.
- Zeiss and Deutsche Telekom launch tooz DevKit smart glasses in Germany
An opportunity for developer community to explore potential and create new applications, say partners.
- Eikon Therapeutics closes $148M financing to develop super-resolution microscopy
California-based firm to integrate advanced optics, machine learning with biochemistry; its target application is drug discovery.
- Test-Bed Telescope 2 joins asteroid detection efforts
Instrument at ESO's La Silla Observatory will survey fast-moving near-Earth objects.
- Salvo Technologies acquires Kreischer Optics
Acquisition expands company’s offering to customers, adding complementary optical fabrication capabilities.
- High-BIAS2 project to accelerate quantum sensing
Project advances cold atom quantum gyroscope; new test flight partner completes the High-BIAS2 supply chain
- Luminar-Airbus venture targeting autonomous aviation
Airbus UpNext’s new Vertex demonstrator fitted with Luminar technology is working towards safe, autonomous flight.
- Silicon photonics helps Fabrinet to another record quarter
Optical packaging specialist posts best-ever sales and income figures, with further growth expected.
- Metaform optics point to compact AR/VR glasses and imaging components
University of Rochester combines metasurfaces and freeform optics for compact high-resolution systems.
- UK partnership aims to revolutionise imaging for drug development
Nine-partner project including Zepler Institute will develop imaging technologies “at unprecedented resolution and speed”.
- Gapontsev steps down from CEO role as IPG’s sales rebound
Company founder moves to executive chairman role and will oversee research efforts as Eugene Scherbakov becomes new CEO.
- New photonics research centers and production facilities for Germany and Canada
Expansion for solar-focused Fraunhofer ISE; OPTICUM research center announced for Hannover; and Coractive plans new plant in Quebec.
- Teledyne bullish on imaging trends as FLIR integration awaits
Industrial technology firm’s imaging business set for significant expansion, assuming shareholders approve the deal next month.
- TinyBrains project seeks clearer view of infant brain blood flow
ICFO-led group to map cerebral blood supply as a means of spotting congenital heart defects.
- MKS Instruments hits billion-dollar run-rate with photonics sales
Advanced manufacturing equipment vendor reports 25% jump in photonics revenues in latest quarter.
- 3D holographic head-up display could improve road safety
UK-based researchers use LiDAR to create HD holographic images of objects, which are projected onto a driver’s eyes.
- Vector names David Childs as Director of Product Development
Spin-out from University of Glasgow developing devices for datacoms, LiDAR, and 3D printing, also announced £1.6M of new funding.