- Trumpf reports €3.5 billion in annual sales – again
2020-2021 sales match previous year’s level. Order book looking “strong” despite impact of Covid-19 pandemic.
- Lumibird bids to buy Areva’s stake in laser maker CILAS
Deal “to be finalized soon” will give Lumibird access to laser weapons and deformable mirror tech.
- Jenoptik achieves ‘record’ trading in second quarter
Guidance for 2021 raised as both revenue and order intake increase significantly.
- VTG wins US Navy contract to fit battleships with counter-UAS laser
Optical Dazzler Interdictor, Navy (“ODIN”) directed energy weapon destined for five U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke-class destroyers.
- Nonlinear optical microscopy reveals details of ancient parchments
French project develops new method to optimize restoration of fragile items.
- Record lithography orders at ASML as chip firms ‘crave’ capacity
Nearly €5BN orders for extreme ultraviolet tools alone as memory chip makers adopt latest processes.
- ‘Super laser’ installed on Swiss mountain to act as lightning rod
Trumpf and University of Geneva conduct experiments for EU’s Laser Lightning Rod project on Säntis mountain.
- Aurora targets trucking with $2BN SPAC merger plan
Latest automotive lidar developer to list on the public markets could be the biggest yet.
- Luminar buys photodiode supplier OptoGration
Automotive lidar pioneer has been working with the maker of InGaAs chips for the past five years.
- LightPath and RP Optical Lab developing thermal cameras for space
Israel-Florida funded project is supported by UCF’s Center for Research and Education in Optics and Lasers.
- EPFL removes lead hazard from perovskite photovoltaics
Incorporating transparent phosphate salt makes perovskite cells safer for the environment.
- Veoneer partners with Baraja to deliver Spectrum-Scan LiDAR…
…and further self-driving LiDAR announcements from AEye & Nvidia; and ON Semiconductor & AutoX’s Gen5 solution.
- Covid update: 15 July 2021
A round up of this week's coronavirus-related news and countermeasures from the photonics industry.
- Sandia National Laboratories leads perovskite research center
DoE-backed effort will advance understanding of new solar panel technology.
- Rockley Photonics launches wearable digital health monitor
“Clinic-on-the-wrist” combining hardware, firmware, and cloud analytics, is based on spectrophotometer-on-a-chip.
- AEye lidar test confirms 1-kilometer range
Company indicates long-range performance possible in bad weather and behind glass.
- Rohde & Schwarz acquires Zurich Instruments
To strengthen its position in quantum technology sector; terms of the deal not disclosed.
- NICT achieves 319 terabits/second over 3,000 kilometers
Japan research institute sets new record for long haul transmission over 4-core fiber.
- Laser diode and LED developer Bluglass closes A$5.9 million rights issue
Issue “oversubscribed” says Australian firm; funds will drive laser diode development toward commercial orders.
- Trumpf system laser-prints multiple dental prostheses automatically
TruPrint 1000 offers “Multilaser” capability; two lasers working simultaneously in a metal powder bed.