NASA Goddard Spaceflight Center News and Features
- A Transformational Experience: NASA's 2018 OPSPARC Challenge Winners Come to Goddard
The winners of NASA's 2018 OPTIMUS PRIME Spinoff Promotion and Research Challenge, or OPSPARC, gathered at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, June 13-14 to take behin …
- Ferocious Ferguson Fire in California Threatens Mariposa–Again
Ferguson Fire in California threatens residents of Mariposa one year to the day they were evacuated a year ago for another fire.
- NASA Goddard Employees Go Green to Save Pollinators
From beehives to pollinator gardens, NASA employees are buzzing with excitement about their new pollinator-friendly projects at the agency’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.
- Dave Quinn: Aspiring to Become ‘Scotty’ at NASA
Dave Quinn knew what he wanted to do with his life after a fateful visit to the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Space, the final frontier.
- A Scientist's Final Paper Looks Toward Earth's Future Climate
A final, posthumous paper from a Goddard scientist and former astronaut reveals new understanding about Earth's climate.
- Beryl (was TD2 – Atlantic Ocean)
On Sunday, July 15, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) noted that Sub-Tropical Storm Beryl was devoid of precipitation around its center of circulation and infrared imagery from NASA's Aqua sate …
- Disruption Tolerant Networking to Demonstrate Internet in Space
NASA’s Human Exploration and Operations and Science Mission Directorates are collaborating to make interplanetary internet a reality.
- Sci-Fi Creators Meld Art, Science in Visit to NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
A group of enterprising science fiction writers made a voyage of discovery to NASA on July 9. The visit included a tour of the real-world facility that drives NASA’s space exploration and coincided w …
- Hubble Observes an Irregular Galaxy with a Peculiar Supernova
An irregular galaxy called UGC 12682 glows warmly against the dark backdrop of the universe in this Hubble image.
- Chris (Atlantic Ocean)
As Tropical Storm Chris was strengthening into a short-lived hurricane, the Global Precipitation Measurement mission or GPM core satellite investigated the storm's rainfall and cloud heights.
- NASA’s Fermi Traces Source of Cosmic Neutrino to Monster Black Hole
For the first time ever, scientists using NASA’s Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope have found the source of a high-energy neutrino from outside our galaxy.
- Hubble and Gaia Team Up to Fuel Cosmic Conundrum
Using two powerful space telescopes astronomers made the most precise measurements to date of the universe’s expansion rate.
- Martin Fire in Nevada Is 57 Miles Long
The Martin fire is 57 miles long and 31 miles wide–a total of 439, 230 acres.
- NASA’s TESS Spacecraft Continues Testing Prior to First Observations
After a successful launch on April 18, 2018, NASA’s newest planet hunter, the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, is currently undergoing a series of commissioning tests before it begins searching …
- NASA’s Webb Space Telescope to Inspect Atmospheres of Gas Giant Exoplanets
One of the most powerful tools that will examine the atmospheres of some planets that TESS discovers will be NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope.
- Nevada's Martin Fire Largest in U.S.
The Martin Fire near the small Northern Nevada town of Paradise Valley erupted on July 05, 2018.
- ICESat-2 Lasers Pass Final Ground Test
ICESat-2 passed its final laser tests, and will now stand down for four weeks before being integrated into its rocket.
- Students from Ohio, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts to Call Space Station
Next week astronauts aboard the International Space Station will host several downlinks as part of NASA’s Year of Education on Station.
- California's County Fire Still Threatening
Unfortunately the 2018 fire season has not been kind to the wine country as the County Fire began in Yolo/Napa County on June 30, 2018.
- Utah's Dollar Ridge Fire Explodes After July 1 Start
The Dollar Ridge fire began on July 1, 2018. Investigators are presuming the fire was human started.